We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vacation Villas CR -- Scam or not?

los angeles
1 post
Save Topic
Vacation Villas CR -- Scam or not?

Hi,

We are going to the Manuel Antonio area in a few weeks and have booked a private vacation home through a company named Vacation Villas. I have already wired money to them for 50% of the rental cost, but am now having extreme reservations about sending this operation any more money. If you have any experience with this operation, please let me know. I am very concerned that we have wired our money and it is now gone forever.

Thank you very much,

Deborah

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vacation Villas CR -- Scam or not?

Deborah: I am not associated with Latitude9 Real Estate but I just happen to live here in Manuel Antonio. I'm familiar w/ the houses listed on their site and also noted that the Latitude9 Real Estate is the company renting out these villas. They are reputable in the area and very professional. My only question to you is ... did they offer you a specific house? I hope I've alleviated your concerns!

Lisa in Manuel Antonio

8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vacation Villas CR -- Scam or not?

WE are interested in renting a villa named Lunatica in manuel antonia that also wants payment by check and a 1000.00 deposit upon arrival. How did it go with your trip? does anyone have background with this property?

B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
886 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vacation Villas CR -- Scam or not?

I'm confused. You paid Vacation Villas and you now have to pay the owner of the villa?? I just rented 2 villas for my vacation and in both cases paid the owner directly. I thought a site such as Vacation Villas and others just charged the owner a fee to list on their site?

Madison
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Vacation Villas CR -- Scam or not?

Hi Deborah -

We would love to know what happened as we're thinking about using Vacation Villas and have the same concerns.

We've been asked to wire 50% of the rental cost of the villa, Casa Antonio, does anyone know about them?

Thanks for your help!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Vacation Villas CR -- Scam or not?

Hi,

Do not know this house but wiring 1/2 is common to the local companies. They have Costa Rica accounts and it takes too long to mail a check besides a check takes upwards of 3 weeks to clear. This is a common practice. Vacation Villas is a legitimate company.

Hope that helps.

Tricia

Quepos, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Vacation Villas CR -- Scam or not?

If you wire money, you have no recourse if you do not receive what you paid for. Most vacation home owners and management companies take credit cards now. Anyone who does not is behind the times. If they don't have a merchant services account, they certainly can accept a credit card through a PayPal account.

Wiring money to a foreign corporation is insane whether the company is legit or not.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
47,936 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vacation Villas CR -- Scam or not?

Latitude 9 real estate company...the owner is a person under investigation from Costa Rica govermment...he is according to some reports , a person that is involve in a lot of destruction and apropiation of properties in very questionable ways around Manuel Antonio...I saw him a few month ago in a TV interview...and he did not have anything to defend himself...!

If Latitude 9 is in some way involved in your vacation, is not a nice way to invest your money with a company under investigation!

Luis Road Advisor

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vacation Villas CR -- Scam or not?

vacation villas costa rica is a real legit managment company. I do a lot of work for our clients with many of their houses. A lot of times some companys request bank deposit because is easier, other way the clients is going to have to paid a extra 5% to the house rental cost. Deposits are made for warranty of any damage cause to the house by any of the clients, most of the times this deposit will be returnd the day of check out when the house is check by the managment company. This deposit is normally made in cash. the best to do is to rearch for the companyS reputacion tru this forums and see what other clients have to said.NATUREGUIDE

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vacation Villas CR -- Scam or not?

To the post of roadadvisor. vacation Villas isnt involved with latitud 9 for the last 8 months. this company was buy by a guy name Ricardo Castro. Costa Rican, very honest people. Latitud 9 is under investigation for the development of Los Altos condominiums, in my opinion I hope they can get to the bottom of the masive destruccion of our peace of paradise.NATUREGUIDE

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Vacation Villas CR -- Scam or not?

a 50% deposit is very common in the area. I am familiar with LunaTica. It's a beautiful house in a great location. A security deposit is also very common, although paying in cash sounds a little strange.

Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio