We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MA Hiking tour

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
CA
Level Contributor
360 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
MA Hiking tour

What is the best time to tour MA park? We would like to see some wildlife.

Also, for the experts and the recent CR travlers, how are the road conditions from San Jose to MA to Dominical? Would it be better to get a driver?We're some what adventurous, but not a big fan of getting lost.

Thanks for any help and advice provided.

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: MA Hiking tour

That's easy. Try to be among the first ones they let in. the wildlife viewings anywhere you go are always going to be best either in the early morning or late afternoon. How long and recently lots of other people have been around also effects the preponderance of wildlife. So while late in the day just before they close is good, first thing in the day is better.

Drving SJ>MA>Dominical? Sure its possible to get lost somewhere along the way, but if you have even half a decent sense of direction, a halfway decent map and someone in the front passenger seat to act as co-pilot/navigator, that shouldn't be a problem. You'll find others on this board who will disagree for navigation as well as other reasons and they'll overstate the pitfalls. So THEY may find those other things to be a problem and that may be true for THEM, But the fact that you describe yourself as somewhat adventurous suggests to me that you are prepared to take at least a little of what the road throws at you and therefore should be able to handle the stretch of road that you;re talking about here.

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: MA Hiking tour

As for current road conditions? There is a report of a washout shortly after Atenas that took out half the road reducing it to alternating oneway traffic. Be prepared for backups there and pass the effected part of roadway slowly. Closer to MA, the bridges have LONG been under construction and I'm sure that hasn't changed. Those are also alternating one way and rickety. Again be prepared to stop to let any oncoming traffic through and when its your turn take it slow. The road to Dominical has been described as very bad (by myself included before I had really seen it for myself). I was only on it last November, so my experience could hardly be described as current, but I found the warnings about the road that I had seen to be grossly exxagerated. Its a dirt road for most of the way with a few one-lane bridges, but I've seen a lot worse in both CR and elsewhere,

CA
Level Contributor
360 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MA Hiking tour

Thank you Prolijo. I feel better about driving myself. I'll just take it slow on the road.

Atlanta Georgia
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MA Hiking tour

Just returned from MA on 10 May. The road to MA is ok a couple of wahs oute that they are in the process of fixing. The one lane bridges do slow traffic down. We had a driver and he was worth every penny. He drove us to MA and picked us up for the return flight. I personally would never go through the hassle of renting a car. We had drivers every night from our tour company they new the local scene and recommended restaurants. Just about as cheap as a taxi. If I can be of any help royler@bellsouth.net

Columbus, ohio
Level Contributor
75 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MA Hiking tour

We drove the road from Dominical to MA and back 3 times in late January and found the road very passable. Couple of small bridges that required being careful but for the most part we enjoyed the trip. Yes it can be bumpy in spots, but not anywhere near the horrible conditions we had heard about.

Have fun

6. Re: MA Hiking tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 08:29