We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interesting sights between SJO and MA

AuRevoir
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Interesting sights between SJO and MA

I guess I should get all my questions in 1 post but was wondering on the drive from San Jose to MA what if any sights or stops we should make. Maybe even a neat place to stop for lunch.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interesting sights between SJO and MA

Of course...Tarcoles river to see the crocodriles...Carara National Park..just next to Tarcoles river...and a good lunch at Steves and Lisas...and just about 2 minutes down from Steves and Lisas is a costarican sea food restaurant...excellent...the builduing is not the best...but good sea food!! Fresh Ceviche!!

R.A Luis

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!!

AuRevoir
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Interesting sights between SJO and MA

There was a restaurant suggested to me but they did not know the name or exactly how to get there. This was the description I got. If anyone can help with a name or directions that would be great!

On the mountain road driving to MA on the left hand side high on the mountain is a small brown restaurant with wonderful views. She didn't mention if the food was good or not but that the views were great! Might be an option if anyone can help.

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Interesting sights between SJO and MA

Depending on when you leave from SJ, you could stop at Fiesta del Maiz (a few kms on your left after turning off the PAH, but before you get to Atenas). It is a "corn restaurant" one of several in that area, serving tamales, cornbread, and a bunch of other corn dishes I don't even know the names of of, plus the regular lunch fare to go along with it.

If that is too soon for lunch another popular place to stop is Steve & Lisa's, which will be on your right shortly after you come into direct view of the ocean. It doesn't sound particularly "Tico" because it is owned and run by a couple of ex-pats, but the food and the view is very good there.

Both of those places are very good but highly popular with tourists, often very busy and somewhat more expensive than some of the other nearby alternatives. A whole other approach, that I sometimes recommend for the more daring and adventurous travelers, is to spread the wealth and take a chance rather than following the herd and try any one of the many other little sodas that you'll find at numerous places along the way. Frankly, they're ALL usually pretty good (or at least I've rarely found a bad one). You never know you might just find your own "private" secret little gem. Or you may wind up at a place where the food is no different (better or worse) than any other place you might have stopped, but at least you would have given some of your tourist dollars to a small business owner that could probably use it a helluva lot more than the usual more highly publicised places that get all the traffic.

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Interesting sights between SJO and MA

Ooopps. I just saw where RA already recommended Steve and Lisas. At least that shows we're all on the same page. I'll have to check out that seafood place next time I'm by there.

5. Re: Interesting sights between SJO and MA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 08:26
Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio