We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants

Cayman islands
1 post
Save Topic
Restaurants

Hi,

Staying at Villa Nicolas end of May, any recommendations for lively places to go in the evenings and good restaurants.

Thanks

Trish

Southern California
Level Contributor
998 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants

This was just asked a month ago. If you search the archives you will find suggestions. Mine were:

Karola's (expensive but good)

Ronnie Lugar's (mid priced, not easy to get to since down a rough road from the main drag)

Bijagual (very cheap, mostly local's place)

Some people highly recommend El Gato Negro. The concierge at our hotel recommended against it. He said it is very overpriced for what you get.

There is another Italian restaurant across from Si Como No who's name I don't remember. I recommend against this place since the service was terrible (I even heard other diners complaining while we waited for our food forever).

Southern California
Level Contributor
998 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants

I also like El Avion, the restaurant built around an old plane from Nicaragua (either a drug-smuggler's plane or one from the civil war).

Other people seem to think it's an eyesore but I thought it was pretty cool. The views from decks above the plane are outstanding, the food was mid-priced and our service was satisfactory.

Mentioned in this post
El Avion
El Avion
4,102 Reviews
Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica
Nicaragua
Nicaragua
Central America
St Petersburg, FL
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants

Just returned from staying at "Si Como No" that is right next door. There is no "Night Life" to speak of in the area. There is a Billard Bar within walking distance to the North of the Hotel. We ate some funky pizza at the Italian Restaurant next to it and I would not recommend it. There is a place called "Ronnie's" that is supposed to be good food and great for sunset. It is to the North on the way to Quepos. The restaurant to the south "El Avion" I heard from others is a good one for a good price.

Mentioned in this post
Quepos
Quepos
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
El Avion
El Avion
4,102 Reviews
Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
119 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants

Trish,

Anaconda at Costa Verde Hotel has great food. We had gorgonzola chicken that was excellent. Snapper was good, Mahi Mahi, basil Creme Brulle and Salad with goat cheese was really good...

El Avion is at the same Hotel and I had an Argentina chimmichuri (sp?) "tenderloin" that was really something like a flank steak but had excellent flavor. Mahi Mahi sandwich was a lot of bread and had so so flavor.

Not too sure about "lively" places to go. Sorry. We were a little leary of going out at night.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Costa Verde
Hotel Costa Verde
1,605 Reviews
El Avion
El Avion
4,102 Reviews
Argentina
Argentina
South America
Brooklyn
Level Contributor
105 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants

Orangepants,

My wife and I stayed at Villas Nicolas last month. It is absolutely wonderful. The views from the porch are incredible and you'll see monkeys from the porch.

We stayed in MA 2 nights and we ate at Barba Roja one night, and El Avion the other night. The views of the sunset from Barba Roja are incredible--better than that at El Avion. I highly recommend going there. We only ate apps at the restaurant and had some drinks, so I can't really comment on the food. It is about a 5 minute walk from Villas Nicolas.

El Avion has live music (Barba Roja didn't) which is nice, and the bar area of the restaurant is in the front of a plane. It's a pretty cool place. We didn't eat much there either, so I can't really comment on the food. It's about a 15 minute walk from VN.

We did have breakfast and lunch at Cafe Milagros. The place is pretty good and I recommend it. The menus are not too elaborate, as lunch consists mainly of sandwiches. It's about a 5 minute walk from VN.

Manuel Antonio is awesome! Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
El Avion
El Avion
4,102 Reviews
Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,519 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants

The restaurant at SiComoNo has great reviews (Claro Que Si) and there is usually evening entertainment at the patio bar. Other recommendations: Karolas, Ronnie's, MarLuna, Salsipuedes Tapas Bar (small plates). In Quepos, Escalofrio (Italian dishes, great pizza, yummy ice cream). You might need to take a taxi to a few of these ... very inexpensive and easy.

Nightlife: In Quepos, Dos Locos has live entertainment on Wed. and Friday. In M.Antonio, Bambu Jam has live entertainment on Friday and Saturday.

Enjoy your trip!

Lisa in M. Antonio

Mentioned in this post
Quepos
Quepos
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants

You'll want to head for Arco Ir��s, a dance club on a barge in the Boca Vieja Estuary at the north end of Quepos. Don't bother to go before 11pm or so. The party will just be beginning around then.

On the weekend, you can head down to the beach near the Park. Mar y Sombra, a mediocre restaurant by day, turns into a happening place at night where you can kick out the jams under the stars (and maybe under a little rain).

Your Connection in Costa Rica - consultant@lairdavis.com

Mentioned in this post
Quepos
Quepos
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants

I would have to say that there really isn't that much to do in M.A. at night. My boyfriend and I drove around every night wondering what in the heck to do and where to eat. We drove around listening for live music anywhere. Maybe we are spoiled living in L.A., but the only place with live music that was actually decent with good singers and real spanish songs was at Si Como No, and although the food was good, it was really pricey. We did like the food at Barba Roja, but it is pricey as well and the entertainment was so-so. I think that anyone wanting to open a restaurant in M.A. could make a bundle if they would have live entertainment - like a salsa band for example - with dinner and dancing. Some people from our hotel were going to some restaurant in Quepos to listen to some band that supposedly had good entertainment, but who wants to go to another country and listen to English music while eating an overpriced meal? I see way more culture in L.A. than I did in Costa Rica.

Mentioned in this post
Quepos
Quepos
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Ottawa, Ont.
Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants

I agree with all Lisa's suggestions and would only add Vela Bar and maybe Lobster for those who are looking for a better meal down near the main beach

On the nightlife front, I agree with keffy, but for opposite reasons. One of the pleasures of Costa Rican culture, as far as I've experienced, is the open, friendliness of the people, combined with a sort of quiet, shyness. Over the years, the only spots I've seen blaring music in a restaurant is the tourist places.

In general, while there are lots of dance places around, if you're looking for a 'party' holiday, I wouldn't recommend Costa Rica. And that one of the reasons I keep going back.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
299 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants

The poolside restaurant overlooking the jungle and Pacific Ocean at the Hotel California is one of the best and romantic places I've been. After dining there, we had no need to go out for our nightlife.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel California
Hotel California
435 Reviews