We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mariposa or Issimo?

NY
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mariposa or Issimo?

Between the two, any opinions on a better bet for a romantic getaway (4 or 5 nights)?

I loved the view and "feel" of Mariposa when I visited there about 17 years ago and would go back there in a second if I thought it was the same, but the reviews here indicate that some caution might be due.

I also recall that location of Mariposa made it pretty easy to get to restaurants and to MA Park even on foot. Is this right? It seems like Issimo might be a little more removed in that respect. Is that right?

Anyway, based on this limited info, any snap judgments on a choice of hotel between these two options?

Thanks.

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mariposa or Issimo?

They are both down the same side road off the main Quepos/MA road... Mariposa is pretty much right after you turn off wheras Issimo is well down the road - without a car it's a pretty long walk back to the main road (and uphill most of the way). Wouldn't say that Mariposa is an easy walk to the park but you are only 5 to 10 minutes walk to the main road where there are regular buses and taxis.

Mariposa was sold recently from what I understood when I was in MA a couple of months ago. I didn't stop in my last visit. It gets mixed reviews as to service and food quality.

Issimo was very impressive and for a romantic getaway it is ideal - incredible views and superb service and food, and a spa to die for!!!!

The other romantic spot on that road is Makanda by the Sea...

I have always had a rental car when there - mainly as I am there for business visiting hotels - but I find that it really does make life easier to get where you want to go when you want... You can rent in Quepos or MA if you don't want to drive from San Jose.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

NY
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mariposa or Issimo?

Thanks, AndrewGW. So between Issimo and Makanda, do you have any particular preference?

Or anyone else with knowledge of both have any thoughts?

Panama City, Panama
Destination Expert
for Panama
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mariposa or Issimo?

I have visited both but not stayed at either...

Issimo is a more modern style where Makanda is separate villas in the forest - much more surrounded by nature. Both are on the hillside with maybe better views from Issimo.

Really hard to say which would be nicer...

Cheers,

Andrew

4. Re: Mariposa or Issimo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 01:17
Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio