We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

solo traveler

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
usa
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
solo traveler

any recs on good place to stay for a solo male traveler, mid-late january, man-friendly?

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: solo traveler

I suppose that really depends on what sort of man you are and exactly what you mean by "man-friendly". I'm a male who has traveled all over CR and never felt unwelcome anywhere. Manuel Antonio, which I assume you're posting this question about, is becoming particularly well-known as a GAY-friendly destination. if that is what you mean by "man-friendly" then there are any number of places that cater to that market (exclusively or at least in part)such as Villa la Roca, Kekoldi Beach and even Makanda by the Sea, though I'm sure just about any MA hotel would welcome you (or so I've read). OTOH, if by "man-friendly" you mean "the other extreme" then, while you can have as good a time as any other tourist in the Manuel Antonio area, you'll find more nightspots catering to men interested in meeting the local women in the Jaco area.

I see from your prior posts that you actually stayed at Villa Roca last January. Did that not work out? I don't know much (or apparently anything really) about that travel-segment but I guess now that some places may be more geared to travelers with partners than they would be for solo travelers and much more so than would be the case then with more traditional travel segments?

usa
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: solo traveler

thanks for the feedback. Villa Roca was fine, but seemed more geared to "coupled" or at least when I was there. also...any ideas where to find folks who might want to share some ground transpo costs while in C.R.? arrive 1/22 around 2 p.m. going to Arenal for 3 nights, then to M.A. on 1/25, back to SJO airport on 2/1 for 1:30 flight back to U.S.A.

3. Re: solo traveler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio...