We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eco lodge in Manuel Antonio?

Emeryville, CA
Level Contributor
270 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Eco lodge in Manuel Antonio?

Is there a good eco lodge in/near Manuel Antonio National Park?

We are 4 adults (2 couples), going there for 3 nights in April from Arenal. We want to do canopy tour, Fincas Naturales, and stay in a hotel that has lots of native animals visiting.

Thank you very much for your recommendation!

Mentioned in this post
Manuel Antonio National Park
Manuel Antonio National...
902 Reviews
Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica
TIPI JUNGLA ecolodge
TIPI JUNGLA ecolodge
#1 of 1 Speciality lodging in Palma Quemada
Rafiki Safari Lodge
Rafiki Safari Lodge
#24 of 730 Speciality lodging in Province of Puntarenas
Pelican Hotel
Pelican Hotel
#1 of 2 Speciality lodging in Esterillos Este
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
142 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Eco lodge in Manuel Antonio?

I am still waiting for someone to provide a definition of "eco lodge". What the hell is that? There is one thing I am certain it is not: "a hotel that has lots of native animals visiting."

If "native animals" (as opposed to "foreign animals on vacation", I suppose) are hanging around any hotel, it is specifically because the personnel and working at that hotel are illegally feeding those animals. No animal in its right mind is going to hang around a hotel, "eco lodge" or "all-inclusive international chain resort" or whatever, when it has a natural environment that provides everything that animal needs.

Chicago, Illinois
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Eco lodge in Manuel Antonio?

Wow that reply was a little harsh...

Try La Posada Bungalows..might be what you're lookign for maybe a little too much with Bambi walking around :)

I'm staying at the Mango moon and recent negative reviews are making me a bit nervous but I'm sure I'll enjoy my stay! I was looking for a place abit smaller and more intimate.

Mentioned in this post
Mango Moon Villa
Mango Moon Villa
572 Reviews
Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,760 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eco lodge in Manuel Antonio?

Actually, I fully agree with Greigogringo. And if you thnk he was harsh, you'll probably think I sound like some sort of curmudgeon.

As far as I know, there is nowhere in the MA area that calls itself an Ecolodge (whatever that actually may be)There are lots of places in the MA area where you might see wildlife - monkeys, sloths, iguanas... However, at the places where the monkeys miraculously appear every day at 4.00 PM at poolside (just an example) you can bet its because someone is feeding them - and that is not a good thing. From what I have read, La Posada is a perfect example..

These are wild animals - not pets or toys to play with. yes, they are adorable and people are often enchanted by a chance to have their pictures taken feeding them or just being "up close and personal". However by feeding them, you do more harm than good.

DO Not Feed the monkeys or other animals!! It is harmful to them. There can be germs on human hands that can make them sick. As well what you feed them may not even be good for them.

The Mono Titi's in the Manuel Antonio area are are quite endangered.

The capucins in MA park have become dependent and aggressive mainly because of being fed. It has come to the point where they actually open and rummage through people's bags or just snatch them to find food.

I am not making this up.

"Seven Reasons Not to Feed the Monkeys!

• Monkeys are highly susceptible to the diseases from human hands. They can die from bacteria transferred off your hand that has no ill effect on you.

• Migration to human-populated areas to be fed increases the risk of dog attacks and road accidents.

• Irregular feeding leads to an aggressive behavior towards humans and other species.

• Contrary to the popular belief, bananas are not the preferred food of monkeys in the wild. Bananas, especially those with pesticides, can upset the monkeys’ delicate digestive system and cause serious dental problems that can lead to death.

• Feeding creates a dangerous dependency on humans that diminishes the monkeys’ survival abilities.

• Feeding interferes with the monkeys’ natural habits and upset the balance of their lifestyle centered on eating wild fruits, seeds, small animals, and insects.

• Contact with humans facilitates poaching and the trade in illegal wildlife.

Source: Kids Saving the Rainforest"

Enjoy your trip.

Pura vida

raquel

Mentioned in this post
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Chicago, Illinois
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Eco lodge in Manuel Antonio?

I fully agree to both of you that you shouldn't feed wildlife but we are moving far, far away from the original post topic...they weren't interested in feeding monkeys but seeing them.

quepos, costa rica
Level Contributor
438 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Eco lodge in Manuel Antonio?

About the only place that I know that I would classify as an eco-resort is Hacienda Baru. Jack Ewing took an over grazed farm pasture and let mother nature take its course. After 25 years of doing nothing things are getting back to the way they were meant to be , WILD and dangerous. The so-called eco-resorts that sit on 10 acres or less have done more damage to the natural realm than they will ever be able to repair. We are humans, every animal in the world sees us as a predator, they dont like us, get over it. Better yet do what mother nature intended you to do and go hunting, the rest of the animal world knows your a killer, why dont you.

Tongue in cheek ( just a little).

Mentioned in this post
Hacienda Baru
Hacienda Baru
365 Reviews
Dominical, Costa Rica
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,743 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eco lodge in Manuel Antonio?

Hacienda Baru is a good choice but its in Dominical on an unpaved road 1-1.5 hours south of Manuel Antonio. You might also want to check out SiComoNo because while it looks like many of the other properties in the area it has made a conscious effort to promote sustainable tourism and was awarded

4 "leaves" on a scale of 1 to 5 in the CST program managed by the Costa Rican Tourism Institute, ICT.

See www.sicomono.com/greenvision/ecovision.php

The only other hotel in the MA area that was certified is Tulemar which also has a rating of 4 leaves.

Mentioned in this post
Hacienda Baru
Hacienda Baru
365 Reviews
Dominical, Costa Rica
Dominical
Dominical
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Tulemar Bungalows & Villas
Tulemar Bungalows...
2,804 Reviews
USA
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Eco lodge in Manuel Antonio?

Okay, say you are not interested in feeding monkeys, but would rather prefer to feed on them.

Is there any place near MA that serves monkey-meat? Maybe BBQ Howler or a Capuchin-Jalapeno Wrap?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eco lodge in Manuel Antonio?

What is up here people? The OP asked a reasonable question based on a first timer going CR beginning some research.

USA
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Eco lodge in Manuel Antonio?

Deep-fried Titi maybe?

10. Re: Eco lodge in Manuel Antonio?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 08:18