We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manuel Antonio Hotel Rooms with monkeys and the sea

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Manuel Antonio Hotel Rooms with monkeys and the sea

I've stayed in Manuel Antonio a couple of times, first at El Mono Azul and most recently at Hotel Karahe. I was wondering if any one had any other suggestions for places I should consider.

While spartan, but clean, Karahe is awesome because it is as close to being on the beach as you can be in M.A. and the troops of monkeys come by in the morning and the evening. That is really why I stay there, to see the monkeys.

Is there another place where you are almost guaranteed to see monkeys at your hotel? If so, I'd be interested to know people's opinions on the place and a general price range. I'm going back in about a month, so it won't be a peak time of year.

Also, does anyone actually negotiate room rates? I've heard it can be done, but haven't ever tried...

Thanks in advance!

Cape Cod, MA
Level Contributor
194 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manuel Antonio Hotel Rooms with monkeys and the sea

You are probably looking for more luxurious accommodations, but I'll give you my 2 cents. I loved the monkeys at Pedro Miguel Cabinas. I stayed there over a week while looking for an apartment. Those monkeys were there every morning, at least a dozen. THe first time I heard them it gave me a scare. I was sound asleep and they made quite a bit of noise. I loved the cabinas. I stayed in one with a full kitchen and dining area with separate bedroom. From the second floor one could see the water. They had breakfast there too. I did negotiate a price with them. I came close to living at the cabinas because hadn't found an apt.

California
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manuel Antonio Hotel Rooms with monkeys and the sea

la posada jungle bungalows

manuel antonio
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Manuel Antonio Hotel Rooms with monkeys and the sea

Hotel Costa Verde is a large hotel within easy walking distance to the beach, (about 150 yards up the hill from hotel Karahe), they have spectacular views of the ocean and national park, and their motto "still more monkeys than people" is true- you will see lots of monkeys here. They also have several restaurants on the property.

The rates vary according to the room's view, size and location, but they will be similar to what you paid at Mono Azul and Karahe.

May is one of the very slow months here for tourists. You will get the best rate if you wait as long as possible before booking. If you do travel in May, you will not have a problem finding a room at a very good rate.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
166 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Manuel Antonio Hotel Rooms with monkeys and the sea

My husband and I are staying at Buena Vista Villas next month. You can also look into Tulemar, as well as Arenas del Mar.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
811 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manuel Antonio Hotel Rooms with monkeys and the sea

I'll be writing a review and trip report in the next couple days, but we just got back from MA tonight. We were in CR for 5 nights and spent all of them at Buena Vista Villas. We stayed in a Deluxe Room which is $200/night.

You get a very comfortable room and a balcony overlooking the forest - and you get a beach, right on the property. I'm not a $200/night kind of person really, but I believe it was worth it.

We were in room 208, which has a totally private balcony. Not all the rooms have balconies that are totally private - many of them overlook the walkways, and I'm so glad we didn't have one of those rooms. Room 208 had no ocean view, but I was fine with that. It was completely surrounded by vegetation. It was so peaceful to sit out there.

As far as monkeys, I don't know if there's a guarantee, but our very first morning at about 6:45 AM, a troop of squirrel monkeys with babies came through. It was amazing! A perfect welcome. They were so cute. Then, even before they had left, a troop (is that the right word?) of white-face capuchins came through! A couple of them were young and were wrestling on the roof of the next villa over. It was truly special. BUT, it never happened quite like that again the other four days we were there. We saw monkeys on the property after that, but not in such large numbers as that first morning.

Hope that helps!

6. Re: Manuel Antonio Hotel Rooms with monkeys and the sea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 September 2009, 11:18