We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it buggy at night on porches/patios?

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
216 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Is it buggy at night on porches/patios?

I really want to stay at Arenas del Mar, the biggest draw being the private outdoor jacuzzis that they advertise as being perfect for watching sunsets. But I can't help but wonder if it would be too hot and buggy to actually use it. We're going in late June.

But I see lots of hotels with these huge doors that open onto the patio (like at Makanda or Tulemar). Can you really sit in your room and enjoy ocean breezes with these huge windows open? Or are there always bugs flying in?

Ramer, Alabama
Level Contributor
467 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it buggy at night on porches/patios?

it is the tropics and there are bugs. Worst time is dusk and dawn, but insect repellent works wonders.

The no see-ums bother me more than the mosquitoes. I'm from south Alabama and didn't think the bugs were any worse than they are here at home.

Take plenty of bug spray, use it and you'll be fine.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
812 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it buggy at night on porches/patios?

I was at Buena Vista Villas/Tulemar in April and I sat on the balcony every night. I was surprised by the low number of flying insects - and I only saw one mosquito. That's not to say they aren't there - that's just my experience.

I think it helped that the balconies there have ceiling fans - I've heard a lot of those flying bugs don't like moving air. Plus, there were plenty of geckos to help with bug control. And bats too - they help keep the bugs in check.

3. Re: Is it buggy at night on porches/patios?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 17:19