We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants in Manuel Antonio

Which Manuel Antonio hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
So. Cal.
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants in Manuel Antonio

Just got into MA tonite. Anyone know of good restaurants to eat in for the next few day?

Thanks!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants in Manuel Antonio

I was there in May for 6 nights. We ate at:

La Gata Negra for dinner - OK, but in hindsight, the least impressive, but OK. It was our first night, and it was late.

La Avion - For dinner. So nice, we went twice! Great atmosphere, suspended over the rainforest below, all open air. The lounge is actually an old airplane. Very atmospheric.

In the Si Como No resort coplex, there are a Tex-Mex restaurant, and a seafood restaurant both serving dinner, as well as a pool-side bar where you can have a truly fantastic lunch. The Tex Mex and Pool-side were fantastic! We didn't eat at the seafood restaurant. The beauty of the grounds and views can't be beat!

Across the street from the beach at MA is a place called The Marlin. We had another great meal there. The freshest seafood I've had in months! (and I live in Ipswich, MA!)

There is also a place called Kapi Kapi... a little more expensive than the others, but if you like tropical atmosphere and Asian Fusion food, well worth it.

Also worth mentioning is the Cockatoo / Latino Lounge. It's also an open-air concept. We went to dinner with a large group (12) that got together from our hotel. The owner actually joined us and ordered off-the-menu appetizers and desserts for us. (It was a slow night) Got rave reviews from all.

All-in-all, the food we had everywhere was exceptionally fresh and tasty, though if you are expecting anything approaching "spicy", you'll have to specifically ask for it, though most tables are equipped with a variety of "hot sauce". I'm a big tuna fan, so when I ordered it, I made sure it was either blackened with spice or wasabi was available. I was never disappointed.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
166 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants in Manuel Antonio

We ate at the following places and really liked them all:

Ronnie's Place (great)

El Avion (very good)

Agua Azul (great)

La Cantina (very good)

I wanted to eat at Angel, but we didn't get a chance to.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants in Manuel Antonio

For a nice dinner I would recommend Gato Negro, El Avion and Agua Azul (My personal favorite. They have the BEST frescas naturales in Manuel Antonio and some of the best food).

For a little more tico try KuKuLa, there is a lady that sells casados on the beach outside MA park and there are numerous Sodas in Quepos.

So. Cal.
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants in Manuel Antonio

Thanks for the replies! I love this cuz' you all gave us a wonderful selection of choices - from Sodas to nicer restaurants. Hope we get a taste of each variety before we go.

Pura Vida!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
166 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants in Manuel Antonio

I also wish I would have tried to eat at some of the Sodas in Quepos. Next time I definitely will. :-) I will agree, I enjoyed the food in MA.

wgr
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants in Manuel Antonio

In MA, Barba Roja,was good although in the American style of overlarge portions and prices. Barba Roja and El Avion are very similar.

Definitely the sodas in Quepos as well as Escalofrio for excellent thin crust pizza, pasta and Italian ice cream. Escalofrio was our family favourite although not open for lunch.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants in Manuel Antonio

Escalofrio was the first restaurant I ate in Quepos and I loved it. I always have pasta a la boscaiola! delicious!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants in Manuel Antonio

I second El Avion and The Marlin. We ended up at Marlin twice- it was very lowkey, very good and inexpensive. Really enjoyed El Avion and it is a very unique place- I was hesitant to go but was glad I did.

We stayed at Si Como No and like a previous poster said, the view and setting are great. The food is good but nothing to write home about on its own.

Also, stop by Cafe Milagro for great coffee.

Enjoy your stay!

Canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants in Manuel Antonio

My wife and I are leaving for CR in two days!! This forum really helped with Restaurant choices in MA. Thank you all for contributing.

What is the avg. price in US dollars for a meal? We are going for 12 days and I'm trying to figure out how much cash I should bring.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,754 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants in Manuel Antonio

The amount of money to brings depends entirely on what you plan to buy. I was in CR for 10 days, and spent about $1000, including souvenirs, meals, taxis, extra hotel add-ons (bar tabs, 2 loads of laundry), a couple of tours to Manuel Antonio and a Zip Line Tour, etc.

I would say that the average I spent for lunch was about $15 each and dinner was $20 - $25 per person. The most "expensive" dinner we had ran us about $100, but that included EVERYTHING... before dinner drinks, appetizers, salads, entrees, wine, a shared dessert and coffee... plus an added tip. Having said that, I must emphasize that we did NOT make any attempt at being frugal. We ate very well, and in many cases had appetizers and/or salads, too. The prices of drinks ranged from $2 up. They have "happy hours" and we even encountered an "open bar" night, when from 8PM to Midnight, standard "well" drinks were free after paying a $10 cover charge. If you smoke, you may be interested to learn that cigarettes are very cheap... in some places $1.20, but usually between $1.60 and $2. (You can also get Cuban cigars)

T shirts ranged from $7 to $12 (I cam home with about 10 of those), and I loaded up on ceramics, wood bowls, and some little incidental gifts.

I also want to apologize for my earlier reference to "La" Avion and "La" Gata Negra. Subsequent poster have gotten it correct... "El Avion" and "El Gato Negro".

I also want to clarify any refernce I made to "open air" dining. El Avion, while "open air" has a HUGE thatched roof that provides complete cover... one of the two nights we dined there, it was POURING rain, but didn't cause a bit of a problem, even though we were on the perimeter, sitting against a railing over the rain forest below. The other "open air" restaurants were visited were all likewise protected.