We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

long term

Tel Aviv
1 post
Save Topic
long term

Hi!

I'm planning to move to Costa Rica for a year and would like to get some information on places and rentals. I'm an English teacher and my husband is a surfer. Our kids will be about 2 and 3 by the time we come, therefore we need a safe, idyllic place close to the beach (good waves) where I also get the chance to teach. So, who can help us out?

Thanks, Maxi

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: long term

Do you have a job already lined up, or do you plan on getting one here when you show up? If you have a job lined up make sure it is a reputable company and you have validation of all you paperwork.

If you do not have a job lined up I highly recommend researching the rules about living long term and working in Costa Rica because they are somewhat strict. It can be an exciting adventure if you are young and single, but with a family it presents a number of problems.

If you and you family want to live long term in Costa Rica you should be advised that a typical tourist visa is only good for 90 days. After that you and your family will need to leave the country for 72 hours and then you are allowed to reenter. The only way to avoid this is to become a resident and since you are going to be there for only a year that will not be possible.

Now to work in Costa Rica you need to be either a resident, citizen or have a work visa. It is illegal for anyone else to work in Costa Rica. Obtaining a work visa is virtually impossible and since you will not be obtaining residency you will, in essence, need to find a job an work illegally. With a family it can present problems.

I apologize if you are aware of this, but so many people say they are just going to move to Costa Rica, live and get a job and it is far from that simple, especially with a family.

If you were young and single I would say go for it, but with 2 young children I would not want to risk it. Hope that gives you some help.

There is an organization, the association of Residents of Costa Rica (ARCR) that helps foreigners with advice etc who are looking to relocate to Cost Rica. I believe they have meetings once a month in Costa Rica. Their website is http://forums.arcr.net/. I would definitely browse their board for a few hours and then if you still have questions ask. Between Trip Advisor and the ARCR website you can become an expert on CR very quickly.

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: long term

Hello SunshineTelaviv.

steeltown23 give you really good points you need to consider before you try to bring your familly. What I can tell you of Manuel Antonio, we dont have places the are very closed to the beach and really save, the only aparments the are closed to the main beach are in a area very dark at night. The feeling isnt very nice. About the job, we have a public education sistem and is imposible to get a visa to teach for a year, you can be a volunteer in one of the diferent wildlife programs like kid saving the rain forest bu this isnt going to give you any paid.

You need to give us more details of what you had in mind soo we can help you more. Costa Rica is a excellent place to visit on vacation but been here for a all year with little kids is a diferent story. You need consider a lot of things, wealth care insurance, language, culture, Visa for only three months. We will be happy to offer you advice.

NATUREGUIDE

3. Re: long term

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 17:20
Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio