We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General question about Manuel Antonio roads

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
General question about Manuel Antonio roads

On a dirt road, you can find some of the very best lodging in MA: Arenas, El Parador, Marioposa, and a couple new high-end condo developments.

So my question is: why is the road horrible? Mind you, they don't need a paved road. Just re-grade it once in a while. If I were staying in one of those hotels, I'd be pretty ticked off! (I used the road a couple times to get to Biesanz beach, so I'm not complaining.)

Now I know roads in Costa Rica can be hit or miss, and fully accept that. But there are several very high end places here... don't they get complaints? Again, they don't have to pave it, just re-grade it a couple times a year. Doesn't seem like it should be a problem.

Just baffled, not complaining.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General question about Manuel Antonio roads

I forgot about Makando! Another one!

Seriously, these guys can't get together and hire a road grader?

Again, confused, not complaining, since I didn't stay there, to me it was just another bumpy Costa Rica road. But if I were staying in one of those places paying $300+ a night, I'd be freakin' ticked off! : )

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General question about Manuel Antonio roads

The road is sometimes is really bad conditions. I agree with you, is as easy to put $500 000 and fixed the road for good. This will also encreased their property value and people will feel better to visit their restuarants. I guess they are all waiting for the local goverment to do it. NATUREGUIDE

Manuel Antonio
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: General question about Manuel Antonio roads

Over the years, all the hotels you mention have put money into that road, and within a matter of weeks it is the same, as the drainage clogs, so the heavy rains run down the freshly graded roads making the ruts again. The taxes paid in this town are supposed to maintain the municipal roads but that does not happen either, which is typical in CR. You need to remember that this road also has many luxury private homes that get more $$ per wk than the hotels, but they never donate into the road fund either. Those big condo projects?? Each day that have huge trucks full of materials going up and down that road, which was not built to withstand the heavy weights. Therefore, pouring some cement is not going to fix a complex problem. Add the local bus that goes up and down all day, tour buses to pick guests up for tours, etc, and the problem keeps growing. It is a huge shame, but is the reality of our beautiful CR. We all live with the hope that someday it will happen. I just got a phone after waiting 3 years, so it could happen! Stress the more important stuff and Enjoy!

Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: General question about Manuel Antonio roads

...but you gotta love the "Oh-my-God Bridge" and the "Forever Bridge." It's part of experience.

And there was yet another. When we rode out to the zip-lines, the driver made us get out of the van so it would be empty of passengers when he drove over the bridge. We walked to the other side of the bridge ( small wooden structure ). He drove over, we got back in the van.

Gotta love it.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,849 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: General question about Manuel Antonio roads

Rantipole...to answer your question in a simple way...most of the hoteliers in the area of Manuel Antonio...REFUSE to pay TAXES...and if they do...they hide a lot of them..and pay the minimun...when you talk to them and they want to impress you they talk about high occupancy...if you check the taxes returns...they are almost empty all year...

And the MUNICIPALIDAD de Aguirre...is corrupted and terrible collecting taxes...

That is greed at the highest level!

Enjoy Manuel Antonio as it is...sorry!

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: General question about Manuel Antonio roads

Thanks for your reponses. They were very interesting. Yes, since we were not paying guests on that road, we were very fine with it and had fun--"Welcome to paradise! :)" everytime we hit a bigger bump. :)

If the hotels/condos/homes are not paying for the road as they should, shame on them.

Quepos
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: General question about Manuel Antonio roads

Did you visit Playa Biesanz? It is on that road, on the left, at the bottom of the hill before the Parador. One of my favorite beaches...and still tranquil.

wavydave

MD
Level Contributor
361 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: General question about Manuel Antonio roads

Something busted on the Oh-My-God-Bridge the other day & we were stuck kfor hours while they rewelded a part of it. On the way back the sides of it were in even worse condition than before.All part of the adventure!

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: General question about Manuel Antonio roads

Yes, Playa Biesanz was quite nice.

Bluemoon: is the "Oh My God" bridge the bridge you have to cross about 10-15 minutes north/west of Quepos? One lane? If so, what an appropriate name for a bridge!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: General question about Manuel Antonio roads

Those ppl are penny wise pound foolish. We stayed at La Mansion and the road was really really bad. The worst was in the 'welcome letter' they acknowledge it and stated that it was the fault of the gov't. In a way I was sort of ticked off - would have been better to not say anything. Beyond that it was all great including the hotel.