We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa Espadilla safe for swimming?

Cleveland
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Playa Espadilla safe for swimming?

I would like clarification regarding whether Playa Espadilla OUTSIDE of the park is or isn't safe for swimming because of potentially unsafe currents. For example, I have read on here that it is good for boogie boarding but not necessarily for swimming. But, why would I ever allow my kids to boogie board in the same water that isn't considered safe for swimming? I am also concerned because I have read several posts warning travelers not to allow their kids to swim in certain beaches simply because they see lots of other people swimming there. Should we just use the beaches inside the park and forget Playa Espadilla, which is within easy walking distance to the hotel where we will be staying?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
532 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Playa Espadilla safe for swimming?

My wife was pulled under and out in the surf just outside of MA park on the first day we swam there - so it's definitely a concern. But if you have a board strapped to you it would be safer.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,555 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Playa Espadilla safe for swimming?

There are lifeguards at Playa Espadilla unlike most Costa Rican beaches in part because there have been drownings at this beach in past years. The problem is unpredictable rip currents. I would not allow my children to swim there, although you will see many children in the water. Boogie boarding obviously gives you a huge advantage if you encounter a rip current, but only if you hang on to the board!

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
219 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Playa Espadilla safe for swimming?

Riptides are often strong in Espadilla and swimming should be done with caution. There are lifeguards on the beach area but your children should be kept under control. Spend some time with them when they go swimming. Better if you take them to the beaches inside Manuel Antonio National Park

Cleveland
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Playa Espadilla safe for swimming?

Thanks. We'll swim inside the national park.

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Playa Espadilla safe for swimming?

The main beach only hads lifeguards during high season or special holidays. The beach is a little danguerous and riptides move very fast. I have personally been trap 4 times and I dont like to swim there anymore. If you would like a small save beach for your kids you can go to Biezan beach, this is only 15 minutes car ride from the main beach. Biezan is located on a nice bay and is very save to swim. NATUREGUIDE

Manuel Antonio
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Playa Espadilla safe for swimming?

If you are aware of the riptides that happen from time to time, you will take precautions if you feel yourself being pulled out. Most of the time you can see them as they make a large brown area where they are churning. Awareness will keep you safe. Enjoy!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
49,025 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Playa Espadilla safe for swimming?

No Playa Espadilla is NOT safe for swimming...SORRY!

roadadvisor@hotmail.com

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

8. Re: Playa Espadilla safe for swimming?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 16:19