We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best travel option for SJO to MA?

Neenah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
9 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
Best travel option for SJO to MA?

We're arriving mid January into SJO around 14:35. I don't want to rent a vehicle to get to MA and am debating wheter to hire a driver or take the 20 minute flight to MA. Any caveats or recommendations? Also, are there any major road construction projects that could significantly delay road travel time? Thanks1

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best travel option for SJO to MA?

The drive isnt going take more the 3.5hours, the road blocks are only for 15 minutes. For the flight, if you are traveling light is easy to take the flight, they only allow you 25pounds bag, anything extra is going to cost you a $1 per/pound.

The drive is a beautifull drive and you will be bale to see a lot of our country onthe road. NATUREGUIDE

Level Contributor
146 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best travel option for SJO to MA?

We drove out to MA and flew back.

Great option because you get to see the countryside up close while driving, then to see it's beauty from the air on the way back.

It's not a big jetliner flying at 30,000 feet.

Its a smaller twin-prop plane that flies considerable lower. The views were fantastic.

Glad I chose that route.

Manuel Antonio
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best travel option for SJO to MA?

I am all about the Hurry up and get there, which is how it is with the domestic flights. If you fly both ways though, you will miss the big crocodiles at the Tarcoles River, which is quite a sight. Alot of people have the driver bring them in, as they are tired and want someone to show them around. Then in Quepos/Manuel Antonio there are some 6 car companies that you can rent the car from, and return it in town or in San Jose. Just so you know, the flights are usually 12 seater planes, so if anyone is not in to that, your decision is made! Really tho, the flight is a breeze. Enjoy!

New York City
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best travel option for SJO to MA?

Been looking at NatureAir for my transfer from SJO to MA but they say they're all booked on March 24 and March 31st! :(

New York City
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best travel option for SJO to MA?

Just rechecked the NatureAir website. Under "promo" and "locos", it said "sold out". But then you punch in your outbound and return flight and it starts to allow you to pay for it. I don't get it. Anyone?

Also, the destination options only give Quepos and not Manuel Antonio. Is Quepos where you fly to to get to MA?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
812 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best travel option for SJO to MA?

Nature Air also has "elite" tickets for those dates -- I guess those are the full-price tickets.

You should also look at Sansa -- they're right next door to SJO so that might work better for your schedule (www.flysansa.com). Just make sure you use Internet Explorer -- it only seems to work on IE.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best travel option for SJO to MA?

Ok! I checked Sansa. It was $150 round trip including tax. It doesn't say MA under destinations, only Quepos. Is that where you fly into?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
812 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best travel option for SJO to MA?

Yes, Quepos is the town.

Jaco
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best travel option for SJO to MA?

Fly is nice but you don´t know the real Costa Rica and the road is perfect and where are make a new is only a few miles and you can pass in 10 minutes.

If you want to take a private driver use to Juan Carlos and Rubier, excellents persons and proffesional drivers they have a many recomendations here and the e-mail is tjtransfers@gmail.com.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best travel option for SJO to MA?

Thinking about doing the drive on one leg of the trip from San Jose and then flying the other leg. I've read here and elsewhere that there are many options when driving. Taxi, private driver, bus, etc... Would someone mind giving me a rundown if they know offhand? Thanks!