We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has entrance to MA Park been moved back?

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
812 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Has entrance to MA Park been moved back?

I remember reading on here sometime last year that the entrance to the park had been moved during the rainy season, but that it might be moved back to its original location in the summer season. Can anyone confirm if the entrance is back to its original location, across that little body of water? Thanks.

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has entrance to MA Park been moved back?

Hello Robert.

The entrance was move to the back side and isn´t going to be change again. You can buy your ticket on the office and walk into the park on the beach side. NATUREGUIDE

Vancouver
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has entrance to MA Park been moved back?

The entrance is right next to the hotel la Posada, you can ask anyone where that hotel is instead of the park itself...

Don't listen to the guys with whistles and orange vests who try to flag down cars and make you pay to park your car (unsupervised and unsafe) on the side of the road: they are just local scammers posing as officials... tell them you are going to your hotel instead, La Posada, where you will find the entrance and free parking.

Sadly, even the "official" guide to the park lied to us when we arrived early on the bus, getting off the paved road onto the dirt path leading to the entrance: he said that we should buy drinks and snacks from the guy (no doubt his buddy/family) selling out of a cooler on the corner of these roads, saying this "was the last place to buy anything from that point"... while there is much more to buy (and at better prices) at the stores right across the street from la Posada, right in front of the entrance!

Sad to say, but you really can't trust anyone in Costa Rica, seems like everyone is out to plume gringoes left and right at every corner, and it got very tiring after a while... especially after a recent trip to much cheaper, and friendly Mexico. Understanding Spanish also helped a lot to see thru crooks. Heck, even NYC felt much safer and friendlier to me!

I will post the photos of all that in the coming week...

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
812 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has entrance to MA Park been moved back?

Thank you, natureguide!

sophiemiaou -- I've been to CR and MA before and loved it (otherwise I wouldn't be returning, obviously). I've met many people who I could trust, and I felt very safe. Sorry to hear you left with such a negative impression.

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,677 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has entrance to MA Park been moved back?

We had our car get stuck on a cattle path (we thought it was the road to Monteverde) near Quebrada Grande, and we had to rely on the help of two ranch hands to get to safety and then to have our car towed back to the road. I'll never forget the kindness of those men, one of whom took us into his home and gave his something to drink while we waited for the tow truck.

They could have fleeced us or robbed us if they wanted---we were helpless. But, their only instinct was to help.

So, yes you can trust people in Costa Rica. Just be smart.

silver spring, md
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Has entrance to MA Park been moved back?

We have reservations at the Hotel Espadilla, which states on its website that it is "200 meters away from the main entrance to Manuel Antonio." Is this no longer true? If so, how far will it be to get to the new entrance?

North Carolina
Level Contributor
218 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has entrance to MA Park been moved back?

We stayed at Hotel Playa EspadillaPlaya Espadilla in May, it was a short walk from the park exit next to La Posada, which is now the entrance to the park. Someone more familiar may correct me, but I think you will find the new entrance is closer to your hotel than the original one was.

silver spring, md
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Has entrance to MA Park been moved back?

Thanks, RoseSayer! How was your experience at the Hotel Espadilla? We chose it because we wanted to be able to walk to the park and the beach. What is the nearby beach like, and how far will it be to get to the MA park beaches?

Vancouver
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has entrance to MA Park been moved back?

You will be very close to the park entrance, and able to walk everywhere! Lots of stores on the small strip in front of dark-sand Playa Espadilla, the beach outside the park... we ate the great, cheap chicken casado several times prepared al fresco by the little friendly family on the beach. Nice big waves, warm water, really not crowded at all, inside the park as well.... the only downside was getting stung several times by jellyfish, just like many folks swimming around us: it must be their season to come out?

We also saw a trio of sneaky capuchin monkeys running away with someone's lunch in a bag on the first beach inside the park, watch your stuff! And we were also sad to catch many people feeding them everywhere, which is a really bad idea for both the critters and the folks... near the observatory into the park, a large screeching male monkey became very aggressive and jumped on a man carrying a few bananas in a bag, and would not leave him alone until he threw the bananas on the side of the path... one of them ran into the trees with the loot, only to be chased by the biggest monkeys and we heard quite a commotion....

We saw first hand how feeding the monkeys can sadly lead them to fight both with humans and among themselves! I regret not filming the incident so I could post it here...

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has entrance to MA Park been moved back?

sophiemiaou tell us the guide you had and I will tell you if he´s official. Manuel Antonio hads over 50 guides and only about 15 are real official national guides. NATUREGUIDE

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Has entrance to MA Park been moved back?

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the interruption. I'm just posting this test message to assist a TripAdvisor member with some technical difficulties. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Thanks,

Dan