We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help! In Manuel - Need High-Speed internet

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Topic
Help! In Manuel - Need High-Speed internet

I booked a condo for a month in Manuel Antonio. In email corresponds with the owner I asked repeatedly about the internet. It is essential to keep my business going as I travel. I just found out they only have dial-up. I'm looking for a place in or near Manuel A. with high-speed internet. I just need a table/desk, high-speed internet and kitchen (hot plate is fine). My budget is up to $1,000 month.

If anyone knows of a place to rent weekly or monthly I would be greatly appreciative!

Mentioned in this post
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Manuel's Tours
Manuel's Tours
405 Reviews
Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica
Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,708 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help! In Manuel - Need High-Speed internet

Hi Justin,

There is no cable Internet in the Quepos MA area. For that you have to go to bigger centres. What there is is ADSL which I think is still through phone lines but dedicated ones.. ICE and racsa - the telecommunications monopoly have plans of various speeds. ICE's plan called @acelera is the fastest. Lots of places have set up wireless networks - but it does not mean you will get high speed. I know in our place, our ADSL which isn't the acelera isn't much faster than actual dial up - and sometimes less dependable.

I know Villas Mymosa has wireless - but I have no idea of the speed.

In general I would suspect that in high season, it won't be easy to find something for $1000 a month with hi speed. green season would be different.

Have you checked in Quepolandia - the free local publication, They often have ads for rentals. Most restaurants and shops have them.

When we were in Quepos in December, we were in Cafe Milagro Quepos and the owner Lance was at his computer. We spoke and he explained that he had - after many issues just got his high speed working. He was planning to offer it in the Cafe once it was working properly. Maybe, if he has it going, you could go in there and at least test his signal and speed to see if similar would be acceptable.

Good luck

pura vida

raquel

Mentioned in this post
Quepos
Quepos
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Villas Mymosa
Villas Mymosa
113 Reviews
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help! In Manuel - Need High-Speed internet

Raquel,

Thanks for reply. I'm actually at Cafe Milagro in Manuel right now and their internet (acelera) works great! I just don't like to take my laptop out in public in Costa Rica.

This post is actually a last effort to stay here. Otherwise I will head to Guanacaste and come back here for a couple months during off season.

Thanks,

Justin

Mentioned in this post
Manuel's Tours
Manuel's Tours
405 Reviews
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Manuel Antonio
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help! In Manuel - Need High-Speed internet

Depends on what month. Please let us know, and I am sure we can help you!

4. Re: Help! In Manuel - Need High-Speed internet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 05:23