We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Concern for malaria or dengue fever

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
SLC
6 posts
Save Topic
Concern for malaria or dengue fever

Going to CR 3/19 and am concerned about malaria and dengue fever precautions in tourist areas. Is there a need in San Jose, Arenal, Monteverde or Manual Antonio areas? What type of mosquito repellent is recommended? Also, what is update on pollution area in MA? We are staying at La Mansion, will we have concerns regarding pollution for nearby hotel beaches?

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,047 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Concern for malaria or dengue fever

Just relax...and enjoy Costa Rica...more cases of dengue reported in Miami than in Costa Rica...Malaria...in my 55 years living in Costa Rica...I have never meet anybody with MALARIA!

just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

roadadvisor@hotmail.com

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Concern for malaria or dengue fever

You don't have to worry about Malaria, for Dengue and mosquitos, the only precaution is insect repellent. We use Cutter Advance, it works great without deet.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
432 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Concern for malaria or dengue fever

I got back from CR a month ago and went to the places you are going. It was not buggy at all. I normally get eaten alive by mosquitos and I only got one bite. I took repellent but never used it. Enjoy - you're going to love CR!

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12,945 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Concern for malaria or dengue fever

www.mdtravelhealth.com Costa Rica

correct info from top travel MD

There was an epidemic of Dengue Sept 2008 in MA area

in Quepos/Parrita about 500 or so a few tourists

So I use Cutter Advanced repellant in all risk areas.

Boulder, CO
Level Contributor
47 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Concern for malaria or dengue fever

I am becoming more confused! My travel clinic said malaria is not a big problem, but still reccomended anti-malarial and Hep-A

My daughter went to the university clinic near here and they reccomended Hep-A, Typhoid, and did not reccoment anti-malarial.

Just do not want to take unnecessary meds!

Who should we listen to????

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Concern for malaria or dengue fever

You dont need to take any of those medications for the places you are planning to visit in Costa Rica. Hotel La Masion is far from where the small part of polluted beach is located. You will be totally perfect. NATUREGUIDE

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
143 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Concern for malaria or dengue fever

relax, and bring repelant for the bugs. Jon

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Concern for malaria or dengue fever

No need to worry or overreact:

Malaria is extremely rare - your risks are negligible. No more than in some parts of the US.

Dengue - no vaccination exists. You must use bug spray. Still, even Dengue is not very common.

Hep A - is food and water borne. Hygienic standards in Costa Rica are high enough to make this a non-issue. During the rainy season, it is possible that septic systems overflow and contaminate a stretch of ocean - swallowing water COULD cause problems. However, given the small size of most beach communities, levels rarely reach a critical threshold..

warren, nj
Level Contributor
296 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Concern for malaria or dengue fever

Hi. just got back a week ago from costa rica. i was prepared to find a lot of bugs and really saw no mosquitos. the only place i saw bugs (spiders) was in a small dirty store that i went into just to use the bathroom while driving to san jose...(i was desperate). i bought insect repellant at my health food store and didn't even need it...we went to manual antonio and the only polluted spot i saw was as you were leaving the park you had to climb over rocks and avoid the water - but there was a guy with a small rowboat there who was available to take you across this area. the beach looked perfectly clean to us. and there were porta pottys availabel at the park which were no dirtier than you would see anywhere. hope this helps.

Manuel Antonio
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Concern for malaria or dengue fever

Do not worry about any of that. I have lived here most of my life and have never even used repellent. If in doubt, just put a spritz of repellent on. As far as the park, the BLUE FLAG (for clean beaches) was reinstated last week. It was alot of press to get a long time problem taken care of. Enjoy!

Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio...