We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MA restaurants to try/avoid?

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Essex
Level Contributor
64 posts
1 review
Save Topic
MA restaurants to try/avoid?

Would love opinions as to good ones or ones to avoid.

We are 2 adults and a 6yr old staying at Si Como No.

El Avion

El Grande Escape (quepos)

Ronnie's place

Barba Roja

Gato Negro

Clara que Si (Si como no)

Soda Angel

Racho Leon

Marlins

La Mariposa (expensive?)

Dos Locos

The blue monkey rainforest restaurant.

Other suggestions appreciated,

Thanks Frances

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: MA restaurants to try/avoid?

We are going in 4 days and everyone is sayin Kapi Kapi is the bomb!!! looks really nice

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
197 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: MA restaurants to try/avoid?

all the above are quite good, but in my opinion one of the best is Cafe Agua Azul which is right next to Si Como No (Up the hill about 100M). It has one of the best views and the food to go with it. The staff is also very friendly. If you do go try a fresh fruit drink (naturales). You can have have it made with milk (my favorite) or water and the flavors are strawberry, mango, watermelon, pineapple, tamarindo and a few others.

Florida
Level Contributor
180 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: MA restaurants to try/avoid?

I am in Manuel Antonio as well. I've traveled a lot and street food is still my favorite. There is a good little grilled food stand across the Hotel Manuel Antonio near the rotunda. They're in between the stands that sell towels and souvenirs and stuff. The grilled chicken is awesome. If you go on the beach and head right/north you'll see a humble little place called El Surfeador. It's some local ladies cooking tipico food under a black plastic tarp. They serve fish, chicken and beef casados and have fresh fruit juices. You can have a casado and juice for less than five bucks and you can sit and eat while you watch the ocean. I worked for over a decade in restaurants including a gourmet French one and I find that unassuming, local oriented places have some of the best food.

Peace

Jim

costaricagenie

crest, ca
Level Contributor
50 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MA restaurants to try/avoid?

Cafe Agua Azul is wonderful, food, staff and view....We enjoyed the drinks and the view on the deck at Barba Roja..some of the food was great, some missed the mark..Great bartender there as well. Gato Negro was good, with good live music the night we were there.

The food cooked right on the beach is awesome, and the best value imaginable with a fabulous, killer view.

Indian Shores...
Level Contributor
700 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MA restaurants to try/avoid?

Kapi Kapi RAWKS! I also really liked The Marlin at MA beach for good, casual fare. The Rico Tico at Si Como No is also good for a nice, casual lunch with stunning ocean views. I was underwhelmed by Agua Azul, but others seem to like it so maybe my mediocre experience was an isolated one. Avoid Marlintini...it was truly awful.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
432 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MA restaurants to try/avoid?

I agree with others that have mentioned Agua Azul, it was the best meal I had in Costa Rica!!

Manuel Antonio
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: MA restaurants to try/avoid?

Here are some of my favorites:

*Gran Escape-when you want a more american food an atomosphere.

*Escalo Frio-best gelato around.

*Dos Locos-for mexican and people watching.

*Tropical Sushi-for the sushi fix.

*Bambu Jam-Great ribs, steak and french onion soup.

*Ronnys Place-great views and brochettes, and Ronny is a treat.

*Mar Luna-Great seafood platter, nice views.

*Salsipuedes-Cool view, tapas good, great vibe.

*Barba Roja-views and happy hour.

*Agua Azul-great food, owners are very cool, views are amazing!

*Byblos Hotel-the best pizza.

*Makanda Hotel-Most romantic and great steak, lamb, fish poolside.

*Mariposa Hotel-for drinks and view.

*El Avion-cool plane, great view, food...ug.

*La Cantina-good barbeque, no view.

*Marlins-best place by the beach.

*Kapi Kapi-great food, not consistent tho.

*Cafe Milagro-breakfast and coffee.

*Kukulas-Best whole fried snapper, family run.

*Soda Sanchez-Downtown with the best Carne en Salsa

*Soda Angel-Near Joseth Market on way to park. Cheap, typical eats.

*Ceviche Bar-In the Central Market. Great fresh shrimp or fish ceviche.

*Soda Come Bien-Typical food in central market.

If it's not on the list, it's cuz the food is not consistent, or I had a terrible experience there. As you can see there is plenty to choose from! Enjoy!

manuel antonio
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: MA restaurants to try/avoid?

I have eaten in almost every restaurant in the area.

Try Gaia which is a five star hotel with excellent food. Another excellent choice would be LaHacienda, great international cusine. They are rated the best by Frommers. La Mansion also has an excellent restaurant with table side cooking.

St. Louis, MO
Level Contributor
3,411 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: MA restaurants to try/avoid?

A local suggested Aqua Azul to us and it was wonderful (wonderful food and a wonderful presentation). El Avion was a lot of fun too and pretty good. I'd recommend both of these. Also for great food at a great price (I think they close at 6 p.m.), eat in one of the huts at the local beach (a great meal for a $6 ir $7), another recommendation from a local that was right on. We had two meals here on our trip.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
473 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: MA restaurants to try/avoid?

If your 6 year old likes animals, Salsipuedes is the answer. Good food and friendly owners (I think they are Argentinean). Having our 4 1/2 year old completely entertained by the resident dog in the restaurant while we ate our tapas...priceless! Just a walk down the road from Si Como No. (She also loved the iguanas at the Si Como No pool.