We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manuel Antonio with children

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Manuel Antonio with children

We will be MA in the area for 5-8days in January with children. Other then visiting the park what are your favorite day trips?

If you were to pick one other location as a second spot for 3 days- what location would you suggest

Edited: 24 November 2009, 14:43
United States
Level Contributor
64 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manuel Antonio with children

We have been to MA several times with our children, as young as three up to 13. The kids really enjoy the canopy tours, definitely a favorite. They also liked the horseback riding tour to a waterfall, it was through Finca Valmy. Valentine (the owner) was an excellent guide and took a shorter way so the small children wouldn't be tired. We have also done the mangrove tour, which they like to do every year, and we always use Juan Brenes, with Aguila tours. (aguilatours.blogspot.com) You can find him on tripadvisor Manuel Antonio forums, as well, he is natureguide. Juan does the park tours and the mangrove tours, and can help you arrange the other tours.

Another thing my kids LOVE is surfing at the public beach in MA. For around $40 per kid, you get a two hour lesson with a local surfer. All you have to do is ask a local and they can direct you to someone, if they don't ask you first! My six year old learned last year, in about 30 min. they had him up and going. This year, that's all he wants to do!

Enjoy your trip!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,644 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manuel Antonio with children

Maybe Arenal Volcano for 3 days...great area for kids... a lot to do... and only 4 hours from Manuel Antonio...by car!

roadadvisor

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manuel Antonio with children

Hi,

I would hands down pick Arenal as the second location. This is a kid's dream place, with an active volcano tons of activities and hanging bridges and so much more.

In MA you can do sailing trip, see dolphins, depending on the age of the kids you can do ATV tour with them riding as passengers.

Also, canopy tours are great in either place. You can do the mangrove tour and take a day trip to Dominical.

Hope this helps,

Marina K. Villatoro

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
279 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manuel Antonio with children

we took our kids ages 7 - 13 yrs to Arenal area and they loved it. We did zipline (look for the one with the "Tarzan" swing), canopy tour, and other activiies and had a great time. Stayed at Los Lagos Hotel - they loved the water slides, crocodiles, ant farm, etc right on the property.

One hint - don't book tours through the hotel. I took my own guidebook and used hotel computer to book much cheaper.

good luck

Beth

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
876 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manuel Antonio with children

You can spend a day at the public beach outside of the national park too. Rent some chairs and an umbrella. Let the kids play in the sand. Not sure if you have girls or boys but if there are girls they may enjoy looking at the affordable hand made jewelry made by hippy like vendors at little tables set up all along the road by the beach.

Manuel Antonio
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Manuel Antonio with children

I have to agree with the other posters that Arenal would be my choice for a second place to visit with the kids. When my grandkids visit, they love the Titi Canopy tour, the snorkel boat tour and we always rent boogie boards just outside the park where they play for hours. We have also done horseback riding, rafting and ATV bikes (riding double), but not sure it those are too much for your kids. Enjoy!

Ontario
Level Contributor
554 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manuel Antonio with children

Take a tour with Juan Brenes and bring a digital camera!

8. Re: Manuel Antonio with children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2010, 06:52
Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio