We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour Guides

chicago
6 posts
Save Topic
Tour Guides

I am going to be in Manuel Antonion next week and need some advise with the reserve.

Do I need a tour guide?

If so, who do you recommend?

Which tours are the best?

Thanks in advance!

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,294 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tour Guides

You can enjoy MA park on your own. It is really quite small and not hard to get around.

Even on your own, you have a good chance of seeing capuchin monkeys and iguanas and sometimes pizotes. But it is not guarenteed since it could be a matter of your bad timing. You can walk the trails and enjoy the beach at your own pace. However, if you do a guided tour, your chances are increased greatly to see more animals. The good guides know what to look for and where to look.. Also, the guides will point out things that you would easily miss, like sloths high in the trees or bats or insects and other critters. They have scopes so you can get a better views and let you take pictures through the scope. A good guide will give you lots of interesting information about the various plants and wildlife.

I have been to the park many times , mostly without a guide. However, on a trip last year, my husband wanted to try out his new camera with the nice zoom lens, so we decided to take Juan Brenes's (posts here as Natureguide) tour. We both really enjoyed it and found it worthwhile. Juan is an excellent guide. I highly recommend him as do many others.

( aguilatour@hotmail.com )

There is a recent thread that lists all the activities and tours available.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g309274-i2022-k3282…

I have always enjoyed the horsebackriding. The mangrove tour is good also.

Are you visiting other parts of CR - because some things like zip lining can be done from MA or from other places.

raquel

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tour Guides

If you want to be able to see good animals in the National park the best is if you hire a good tour guide, most tours are around 3 hours or more. You can search yourself for reputable Naturalist guides here and you will find several names been recomended. If you plan to just show up at the beach you might end up with a ilegal tour guide the hads very little knowledge about the animals. Good luck. NATUREGUIDE

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,944 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tour Guides

I agree don't hire a guide from the beaches or any random people that come up to you. Find a guide and make contact before you get here. The last poster "NatureGuide" is an excellent guide. When you go with a guide who is worth his salt you will see and learn more than you can imagine. Have a great trip!

Cheers

Inca

P.S. - A favorite tour of mine in MA is the "Spice Tour"

Edited: 07 January 2010, 06:18
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tour Guides

Nature guide is a good person and great guide...he is the man!

Luis roadadvisor

tx
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tour Guides

We did two tours last week with Juan. One in the national park and one in the mangroves. Juan is the best! We had a great time and he took great care of us. He really knows Costa Rica and can point out lots of things you would miss on your own. http://juanbrenes.blogspot.com/

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
72 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tour Guides

I am thinking of hiring Juan because he comes so highly recommended. How large was your group? Seems a year ago he was $25 per person and now $45 plus park admission? Is that right?

Thanks for your help.

toronto
Level Contributor
133 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tour Guides

We just did a tour with Juan and he is amazing. We paid $50 per person for a private tour (just 2 people) plus park admission. He is cheaper if you do a group tour.

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
72 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tour Guides

Just heard back from Juan. It is $25 per person plus park fee. Will probably be with a group, just hope it's not too big. Looking forward to meeting him as it sounds like he can helps us with other tours as well.

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tour Guides

Hi everybody.

The prices for the National park tour are $35p/p including the admission entrance and we will meet near the park entrance or $45p/p Including transportation from the hotel, admission and snacks. The price are the same as it was last year. I will be happy to answer any quetsions if you email me to aguilatour@hotmail.com. Pura Vida. NATUREGUIDE

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tour Guides

Some good guides around there...but Juan Brenes get great reviews...he is the guide!

luis roadadvisor

Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio