We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental neede to pick up near SJO and return in Quepos/MA

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
156 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
car rental neede to pick up near SJO and return in Quepos/MA

We will be in CR next month and need a car for part of our trip since we have several legs. We understand there is a 12% charge if car picked up at airport...we want to save the money and take a taxi at a location in Alejuela. Any recommendations shall be appreciated.

We will drop the car off at Quepos as we won't be needing it while we are there for 3 days. we plan to take the public bus back to San Jose and stay there next.

From the posts it looks like Budget or Dollar may be the most reasonable and we only want a 2-W for 2 people.

Please help us finalize the plan. Gracias.

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental neede to pick up near SJO and return in Quepos/MA

Most rental companies are right across SJO, they will shuttle to offices to pick up car, if not taxi only couple dollars. You most likely charge you drop off fees if you keep for less than 3 days. it might be cheaper if you go to Quepos with private driver.

Edited: 13 January 2010, 17:34
California
Level Contributor
156 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental neede to pick up near SJO and return in Quepos/MA

We will be traveling from SJO to varios areas in CR and end up in MA...it will be cheaper to get a car as we are going to be staying in 4 other area...going to need the car for 6 days.

Any tips on which company would have an office in Alejuela & Quepos?

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental neede to pick up near SJO and return in Quepos/MA

Hi,

Many car rentals, especially local ones like Adobe, have free pick up at the airport with no airport tax. And you can leave your car for free in Quepos. They are a great company and very reliable.

Hope this helps,

Marina K. Villatoro

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,257 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental neede to pick up near SJO and return in Quepos/MA

Please do not worry...most rent a cars as the one you mentioned...they will pick you up for free and transfer you to the Rio Segundo location...then you will finalize the contract there...and you will save the 12% horrible tax by ALTERRA! that is a complete RIPP OFF!

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,257 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental neede to pick up near SJO and return in Quepos/MA

I forget to mention...and yes you can return your car in QUEPOS!

Lus

Boston...
Level Contributor
904 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental neede to pick up near SJO and return in Quepos/MA

Not all car rental companies let you drop in Quepos. Hertz does but I'm not sure about others.

California
Level Contributor
156 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental neede to pick up near SJO and return in Quepos/MA

Thank you for all your comments and suggestions, with the research it looks like Adobe is the most reasonable..with the mandated insurance a small manuel 2W is about $240(with the gov't mandated insurance and $750 deductible) for 6 days, the other companies all charged 50-85$ for the drop in other towns...and were somewhere around $350-400.

California
Level Contributor
156 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental neede to pick up near SJO and return in Quepos/MA

I am having trouble reaching Adobe...I got a quote, but when it was time to finalize and give credit card I have not gotten any replies, despite 3-4 emails . The toll free # in US has been busy all afternoon. Has anyone had these problems? I am considering going with another company as I am leary of this kind of service.

Any suggestions?

Boston...
Level Contributor
904 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental neede to pick up near SJO and return in Quepos/MA

Probably not a bad idea.

California
Level Contributor
156 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental neede to pick up near SJO and return in Quepos/MA

How about Hertz, Thrift or Dollar? Don't feel good about Adobe since still no response after multiple attempts.