We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Impending snow

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
117 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Impending snow

Hi We were supposed to leave for SJO tomorrow but because of the impending snow storm on the East coast, we changed our flight to Sunday. I had to cancel our private driver for Sat. Can you get a driver at the airport? We thought we may try to do Stand By on Sat,if the storm isn't really bad. but we would transportation to MA, so many variables. I hope that this isn't too confusing. Any info is greatly appreciated. Cheers, Connie

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Impending snow

Taxis are widely available at the airport SJO. Only use the "official airport taxi" (as shown here on the website) http://www.taxiaeropuerto.com/ing_index.shtml

As shown they are orange in color with official emblem. You do not have to reserve in advance, they are abundant. Hopefully you will get a driver who is fluent in English but at this point, I think you'll just be happy to get out of the swow! Good luck and safe travels ... the weather here is great! Bright and sunny, no rain, nice and warm! Lisa

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
117 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Impending snow

Hi Lisa,Do you think that the cost would be the same as a private driver, around $150? Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Cheers, Connie

Ontario
Level Contributor
226 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Impending snow

I hope you make it there, I did see on the weather channel that 40 cm is expected by saturday!!!! Somehow you guys on the East coast always gets slammed with bad weather.I know how worrisome the weather can make things, I'm always worried about snowstorms and freezing rain delaying our trip. Enjoy your holiday we are not far behind you!!! Can't wait the weather does look awesome, partly sunny and 29 degrees!!!!

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,424 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Impending snow

Yes, I believe it would be very close to that price. The price is dictated by the SJO authorities and I believe it will be competitvely priced vs. a licensed private driver. I hope your travel plans come thru w/o too many weather problems!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,303 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Impending snow

Since you are asking and without breaking the forum ethical rules...you may contact : rocio@tucanlimoservices.com

You can even call her at...(305) 320-5332 USA phone number local call for you!

She can confirm that transfer for you... just relax and enjoy the ride in PARADISE!

roadadvisor

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,294 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Impending snow

Mump52,

Several years ago, we took one of the official airport taxis from SJO to Manuel Antonio. The price was pretty comparable to what private drivers charge - maybe a tiny bit less but nothing substantial. (The only reason we did not arrange a driver ahead of time is that we were travelling standby and were afraid we might not get there as planned.)

Anyway at that time there was a taxi desk where you prepaid fares. They did have a price list. However, they asked us what we were willing to pay. Then they went to see if there was any driver who wanted to take the fare. Not all are that eager - since in the end it is more than 6 hours back and forth and he may end up being empty on the return. We did this in low season. In higher season, so it was quieter at the airport. Anyway they found one for us without too much problem..

However, since that time, the system at the airport has changed a bit. No one seems to be manning the prepaid desk - just a guy directing you to taxis You pay the driver directly. ) I don't know whether he will help people to find one . (I am not saying he won't - just don't know)

Good luck in your travels. These weather issues can really be frustrating.

pura vida

raquel

Level Contributor
8,114 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Impending snow

My experience with drivers in Costa Rica is they are very flexible and if you had booked with someone you were confident in I would rebook for your scheduled flight. It seems on the news that you are not leaving today (Sat)...I can imagine that with all this weather the Costa Rica airport will be backed up too. I don't know where you are traveling but if it is a distance I would prefer something prebooked as hopefully the vehicle will be better etc. just my opinion. You can always change that booking too...they get this everyday....

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
117 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Impending snow

Hi Gene, This has been a nightmare. We are now arriving in SJO at 8:20 PM. Do you think that we will have difficulty getting a taxi to take us at night. Let me know as soon as possible. Cheers, Connie

Level Contributor
8,114 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Impending snow

Others can offer an opinion here but I would get a hotel near the airport for tonight... Then arrange with your original driver to pick you up tomorrow morning. I would not want to take that drive at night and I guess a taxi driver would do it (I think) but it is one curve after another no guardrails and lights and you totally miss the beautiful scenary. Contact you hotel in Manual Antonio and hopefully they can be understanding but you may be out of luck getting a refund on tonight if you had to pay in advance a deposit which I assume you did. Just do it and starting tomorrow you will be in beautiful surroundings. We usually stay at Xandari in Aleuelja and they will pick you up at the airport. That one is a bit expensive and I know there are less expensive hotels nearby which probably have been really busy this weekend with all the people not getting out...good luck....

Seoul, South Korea
Level Contributor
876 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Impending snow

When I was at the airport a few weeks ago there was someone working the pre-paid taxi desk so if this is still the case talk to them before you walk out into the madness outside of the airport.

Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio