We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tortuga island from MA

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chico, California
13 posts
Save Topic
tortuga island from MA

Is taking the Calypso tour over to Tortuga Island a doable day trip from Manuel Antonio? This tour looked interesting to me, but we are thinking of staying in the Manuel Antonio area. Could possibly stay in Jaco area if thats more doable. Not sure of the driving times from either location.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tortuga island from MA

Jaco will be great place to take the Tortuga Island Tour...from Jaco you do not have to drive anywhere...just to take the boat!

roadadvisor

Antigua, Guatemala
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tortuga island from MA

Absolutley!

This is where a lot of my clients take the tour from. You guys will love it!!!

Hope this helps,

Marina K. Villatoro

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tortuga island from MA

Of course if you stay closer to Puntarenas that will be even better...since the Calypso HUV is Puntarenas...for my clients, large groups or just couples...we recommend them to stay even at Double Tree by Hilton in El Roble de Puntarenas!

roadadvisor

Manuel Antonio
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: tortuga island from MA

The Tortuga Island tour is great, though a bit long when you start from the MA area. There are so many fun things you can do right in our area that don't end up being around 10 hrs long from door to door. Enjoy!

Houston
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tortuga island from MA

I did the Tortuga Island Tour with Calypso from Manuel Antonio in the summer of 2008. It was enjoyable and the lunch on the island was impressive. However, I did not think it was worth the full day, we had to invest to drive to Puntarenas, do the tour and drive back. The island is pretty but I found the beach at the Tulemar properties just as beautiful and far less crowded. Also, there is a rocky bottom and lost of boats pulled up close to the shore surrounding the island. Their is no sense of privacy and we saw no wild life. The Calypso crew does a good job and the boat trip to the island is fine. The approach to the island is ruined by tons of floating trash that gets washed out from the boats that ring the island. I am not sure I would go to the trouble of staying in Jaco just to do this tour. Manuel Antonio is much prettier and has the National Park as well as lovely beaches and good tours. In the end it is about what works best for you. Enjoy:)

Chico, California
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: tortuga island from MA

Thanks for the reply houstonbum. The only reason why we were thinking of doing the tour is because I read online that the beach is white sand and very blue water. My brother and husband want to scuba, and my sister in law really wanted to visit a nice white sand beach with blue/green water to feel completely relaxed on. I wasn't sure what all Manuel Antonio had to offer as far as that goes. The beaches look amazing in MA. So not really worth the long trip over to puntarenas?

jaco
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: tortuga island from MA

Jaco is the right place to be to go to Tortuga Island .Great place to go.

Calypso can pick you up at 7:30 am from any hotel in Town.

Good luck!

cupotico.

Indian Shores...
Level Contributor
700 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tortuga island from MA

I would stay in Manuel Antonio over Jaco ANY DAY. More convenient access to Tortuga Island is not worth making the destination swap IMHO. I agree with HoustonBum that the Tortuga Island cruise is not "all that". It makes for a VERY long day with very limited activities and amenities, and I didn't think the beaches on Tortuga were any prettier than the Manuel Antonio beaches (and there was a surprising amount of trash floating around when we went, as well). If I had to to do it all over again, I would skip that particular excursion.

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tortuga island from MA

The beach inside the National park is white sand and blue water, you will also be able to see a lot of wildlife. I agree about the tortuga island trip, from Manuel Antonio it is a little far away for a tour. NATUREGUIDE

Houston
Level Contributor
42 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tortuga island from MA

I did not think the water was any bluer or the beaches any whiter than the Manuel Antonio beaches and water.. Of course, I always visit in July and it is the green season with a lot of rain and run off from the Mtns.,. This tends to make the water somewhat murkier and not as clear as during the dry season. We went snorkeling in MA and on Tortuga Island. The conditions were just as murky each time. I think when people visit during the dry season , they have a different experience with the clarity and color of the water. I spent some time on the Gulf of Papagayo in Guanacaste which is drier than the central Pacific where Jaco and MA are located. I went in July and it rained only a little. Consequently when we went sailing and snorkling the water was really clear and had those various blue shades you were talking about. I really think you would be happier in MA. , even if you decide to still do the Tortuga Island Tour with Calypso. When we went they picked us up at our hotel in MA, and we stopped for breakfast on our way to Puntarenas. People were on our shuttle from Jaco where they had stopped first. When we arrived there was an even larger group already there who had been shuttled from San Jose. We had about 40 people in all.