We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Groceries

Michigan
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Groceries

We will be arriving around 7 p.m. if all goes well and want to pick up a few goceries that night if possible. Just things like snacks, drinks, and breakfast foods, will the stores still be open at this time?

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Groceries

Yes the grocery stores should be open (where are you staying, what day are you getting in-Sunday they could be closed early). If you give us more details we can tell you where the closest grocery store is, etc. :-) Also if you're staying at a small place sometimes they'll stock the groceries for you (we do that when people ask) but it all depends on where your'e staying. :-)

Wendy at the Villa Hermosa, La Fortuna, CR

Michigan
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Groceries

Arriving Friday and staying at Buena Vista Villas. They do offer the service but we would like to pick them up ourselves. Thank you for your help!

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Groceries

You'll love Buena Vista villas-gorgeous! ;-) Just a couple of minutes before you get to BV on your left will be a little market (just past Angel's Restaurant/Soda)-I can't remember if it's another Super Josef (the name...I think it is). They have a fairly good selection and we went there many times while we were in MA. Enjoy!

Wendy at the Villa Hermosa, La Fortuna, CR

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,373 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Groceries

Yes - the closest supermarket is Super Joseth. They have 2 branches -one half way down the Quepos MA road which Wendy described - which would be the one closest to where you are staying, the other right at the MA beach area next 2 Marlin's Restaurant.

In the town of Quepos are several supermarkets - Pali and Supermas being the largest.. I know Supermas is open till 8 PM every day but Sunday.

Pali would be the cheapest of the stores but Super Joseth and Supermas would have more variety of things a tourist might want.

In a pinch there is a place called Super Jordix - on the same street as Pali - but more closer to the centre of Quepos that seems to be open longer hours and later on Sundays.

If you aredriving in from the San Jose direction, another option would be to stop at the Automercado at Herradura near Jaco.

Pura vida

raquel

Madison
Level Contributor
204 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Groceries

If you're driving in from SJ you could stop at the Walmart like store at the mall with the Lighthouse. We found Everything we needed.

Just a thought.

Also Super Joseth will deliver beer and necessities to you!

Level Contributor
25 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Groceries

Going to CR in May. Staying at Casa Vista Azul what is the name of the Walmart like store??

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,782 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Groceries

The best advice from a trully Manuel Antonio expert by Raquel...but I like to add...Joseth is open until 9PM...

If you are driving from SJO...maybe you can stop at Auto Mercado in Herradura beach...as good and even better than many USA or Canadian markets...

Buena Vista is the best...incredible place...I stayed there a few days ago...better than ever...

roadadvisor

Michigan
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Groceries

Thanks for all the help, we can't wait till Friday!

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,373 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Groceries

wedi,

I am pretty sure that the Walmart like store MadmanWi is referring to is the Automercado in Herradura.

Walmart actually does own a large percentage -controlling interest in many of the supermarket chains in Costa Rica - but at this point I am not sure if Automercado is one or not. They do however own Pali, Mas Por Menos, Hipermas Maxi Bodegas. The only one that has a branch in the Quepos MA area is Pali.

raquel

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Groceries

Yes, the store is Automercado in Playa Herradura. It is not affiliated with WalMart; however, it does have many difficult to find grocery items. It carries many American brand name items, has a meat, deli, fish and sushi section, fresh bakery, wine and liquors. The plaza is easily accessible from the main road, has a large lighted parking lot, you can't miss it. Have a great trip!

Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio