We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

diving

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winter Garden...
Level Contributor
141 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
diving

Okay, I have read alot that diving from MA is not that great but at Cano Island it is. We are staying in MA, how long of a drive would it be to drive down closer to Oso to dive Cano? Is there much difference in the diving and what we will see? Thanks

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,852 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: diving

It really all depends on what time of year you are coming. We do not have the same coral you might find in some parts of the world. Most of the diving is done around islands and instead of coral we have volcanic rock formations.

Time of year is crucial, the diving is fine, but the visibility can be horrible. Need to do this in the heart of the dry season for best results.

Down in Drakes Bay and Cano Island is the best in the country IMO. Also some good diving in Guanacaste and some of the islands. Manuel Antonio is so-so.

Doing Cano island as a day trip IMO would be brutal, still quite a bit away from the area where you will be.

Edited: 10 March 2011, 00:14
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,047 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: diving

You can drive to Uvita and take a diving tour from there to Caño...it is a great experience...Uvita is only 1 hour and 30 minutes even less from Manuel Antonio...great road all the way!

roadadvisor

Manuel Antonio
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: diving

I agree with Roadadvisor, go to Dominical or better yet Uvita and leave from there. Much shorter boat ride. I'm sure you can do a search and find a company to help you. I highly recommend the diving off Cano Island, it is excellent and has one area that has very tame sharks, but there are 3 main sites to dive. Also, it would be very common this time of year to see whales on the way to the island. Its amazing and the water is so warm its like bathwater. Enjoy!

Winter Garden...
Level Contributor
141 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: diving

Thank you all. We will be in MA May 11-14. The trips in Dominical leave at 6-6:30 am, that would be a very early morning. How is snorkeling in MA Park? We were going to bring at least our mask and snorkel.

5. Re: diving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio...