We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I set up my private car rides in advance?

Highland Village...
11 posts
Save Topic
Should I set up my private car rides in advance?

I've read thru the forums and have decided we'll hire a driver from SJO to Manuel Antonio and back. It's me, my wife and 2 kids ages 5 and 7.

Some friends have said to just wait till we arrive to find a ride - that it's very easy and you can better negotiate the price.

For what it's worth, we're arriving after 8pm on Apr 12th and plan to spend the night in San Jose and ride down in the morning and travel back in the afternoon for a morning flight the next day.

So - what do you think? WE're not high stress people and can easily go this route if it's easy enough - or we can make arrangements with one of the fine companies that are recommended here.

Pro and Cons of waiting till we arrive?

Thanks everyone!

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
993 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I set up my private car rides in advance?

Do it in advance.....don't take the chance of someone at the airport.....yes...I'm sure you can get a cheaper price.....but what type of vehicle.....size and condition......insurance?.....repairs?......I've had guests, who grabbed a "pirate" taxi from the airport.....tell me that after they got on the road....the driver asked for money in advance for gas.....another guest told of stopping by the driver's house to pick up the wife to "go along for the ride"......don't take a chance.....schedule a driver/van in advance.

Tulemar Dave

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,644 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I set up my private car rides in advance?

100% with Dave...some pirates will even tell you that they are cheaper...and at the end you end up driving an old vehicle...with only God knows what condition and what insurance..

Schedule the ride in advance!

roadadvisor

Monteverde Costa...
Level Contributor
576 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I set up my private car rides in advance?

Also you mention staying in San Jose. If you really mean downtown San Jose or therabouts you will have to pay $10.00 - $20.00 more typically for private transport than if you stay in Alajuela near the airport.

Alajuela is closer to Manuel Antonio (and most destinations for that matter).

Maybe consider a hotel by the airport which will be cheaper your first and last night (and less time) for cabs to and from the airport as well.

NYC
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I set up my private car rides in advance?

You have children. Do not try to save money by "winging" this. Book ahead and don't try to save a few dollars and insure the comfort and safety of your family--its a long enough ride, might as well do it without worries and concerns.

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I set up my private car rides in advance?

In the forum you can find the information of a lot of excellent drivers. It is much better to have somebody waiting for you at the airport. You can have a english speaking driver that will be able to teach you a lot about the country during the trip. NATUREGUIDE

Manuel Antonio
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I set up my private car rides in advance?

Definitely arrange this in advance. Roadadvisor in this forum can help you, or feel free to private msg me and I will send you some names. Enjoy!

Highland Village...
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I set up my private car rides in advance?

Thanks everyone... I will set up the rides this week. And yes, I plan to stay near the airport as suggested.

I was looking at the Adventure Inn (great reviews here).

Any nice hotels? We prefer to splurge on hotels so throw out a few good names please.

Thanks again everyone!

CA
Level Contributor
122 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I set up my private car rides in advance?

We used Tucanlimo which is Roadadvisor's company. Luis and Rosie (his wife) are wonderful people and really took care of us. So glad we used their company and wouldn't hesitate to use them when we go back.

Have a great trip!!

NYC
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I set up my private car rides in advance?

By the airport a funky kind of different luxury is the Xandari Hotel atop a hilltop on an old coffee plantation. It is like something out of 1974 in terms of vibrant paint colors and some of the aesthetic of the owners (although it is all pretty new). The grounds are very nice, lots of pools, some walking paths. Close to airport. It is definitely "different."

10. Re: Should I set up my private car rides in advance?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio