We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manuel Antonio Hotels - Verde Mar or The Falls?

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Manuel Antonio Hotels - Verde Mar or The Falls?

We are heading to Manuel Antonio - family of 6 adults - need 3 rooms. I'm considering onsidering the 3 bedroom apartment at The Falls (or 3 rooms if apt not available) OR 3 rooms at Verde Mar. Any suggestions? preferences? comparisons? How far is The Falls from the beach and park?

Thanks.

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manuel Antonio Hotels - Verde Mar or The Falls?

The Falls.....a little further from the park/beach....but not an issue....you'll like the hotel/restaurant and pool area!

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manuel Antonio Hotels - Verde Mar or The Falls?

I've stayed at Verde Mar, Tulemar/Buena Vista and Mono Azul so I can give you some insight on Verde Mar. Verde Mar's #1 best quality is its location. You can walk to the National Park, a grocery store, pharmacy, several restaurants, bars, the beaches, etc. The rooms are very basic but clean, they have small kitchenettes which is a great way to save money by fixing food or drinks, they have a nice small pool (monkeys visited us daily) and they just built a restaurant on-site. We had a car but really liked being able to walk to places which you can't do from many other hotels. Personally I think the money they were spending putting in a restaurant would have been better utilized in upgrading the rooms but overall I felt it was good for the price we were paying. Hope this helps a little....at least to get to know Verde Mar a bit more. :-) Enjoy!

Wendy, La Fortuna, CR

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,163 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manuel Antonio Hotels - Verde Mar or The Falls?

good summary about Verde Mar by Wendy. IMO as well Verde Mar is a much better location, The Falls is a much nicer hotel.

If basic is all good by you, Verde Mar is a good bargain.

Cheers

Manuel Antonio
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Manuel Antonio Hotels - Verde Mar or The Falls?

I agree that The Falls is the better hotel, but the location of Verde Mar is hard to beat, so I guess it comes down to which is your priority. Enjoy!

Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manuel Antonio Hotels - Verde Mar or The Falls?

I just got back from Verde Mar yesterday. They have decided to not open the resturant and are turning it into "beach front" rooms. They had just opened one of the rooms when we were there and are opening up a few more this week. The rooms are really basic with one bed.

The 2 bed rooms are VERY basic but clean. Really these are about the most basic type rooms I will stay at, but the location can't be beat. There is a soda right on the beach infront of the hotel open for all meals. You can rent chairs and umbrellas there and have a running tab with the soda, so no need for a cooler. They also have a mini restaurant in the lobby serving up some food. You are in the middle of the forest, so there will be bugs, mainly ants are the issue if anything is left out, even shaving cream or tooth paste. I highly suggest getting upper level rooms.

Manuel Antonio
Level Contributor
86 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Manuel Antonio Hotels - Verde Mar or The Falls?

I will start my reply with a comment that might help other visitors: transportation in Manuela Antonio is NOT an issue. It doesn't matter where you are staying in Manuel Antonio, or even downtown Quepos, it will never take more than 12 minutes drive [car – cab] to get to the beach and/or National Park. If a visitor decide for the public bus, it will take 20 minutes – the most - from downtown Quepos.

In my opinion it should be only a matter of hotel budget, and kind of services a customer wants to receive.

Back in track... Hotel Verdemar is probably the most basic decent hotel in the area. It is very clean but, for me, too basic. It's like one of those hotels you use to go in vacation, when you were 19 – 20 years old with your friends. Just a plain room. You can easily guess this by comparing it's rates with The Falls.

On the other hand, the new owner of The Falls (former Ruby's, former La Plantación, gay hotels with 0 tolerance for straight couples), did a great job in increasing and changing it's reputation. In fact it's one of the best price value hotels in the area.

If it's not a matter of budget, nor distance, I definitively go for The Falls.

But remember they are not the only two hotels in Manuel Antonio. I suggest you to spend some time cybersurfing (you can practice the real surfing when you get here...), to have enough info to take a good decision.

Saludos and have a nice vacation in our area!

Mentioned in this post
Quepos
Quepos
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Atlanta
Destination Expert
for Jaco, Bocas Town
Level Contributor
3,975 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manuel Antonio Hotels - Verde Mar or The Falls?

It really depends how you want to deal with the beach. If you don't mind traveling to the beach, then stay somewhere besides Verde Mar. Travel_C is right about how basic the rooms are.

My problem is I hate to truck all the beach stuff, boards, towels, sunscreen, hats, books, kitchen sink, and of course the really sandy kids to and from the beach. At Verde Mar I just send the kids to the outdoor shower, they rinse off, then jump in the pool then we are in our rooms ready to go. I can't imagine having to get all that stuff from point A-B via taxi, long walk, or a bus. Just the beach towels alone are a PIA.

8. Re: Manuel Antonio Hotels - Verde Mar or The Falls?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 00:16