We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquito Repellant

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
8 helpful votes
Mosquito Repellant

Hi,

How bad are the mosquito's in June-July and what the best product to keep them away based on your experiences.

thanks

Playa Guiones...
Destination Expert
for Nosara
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Mosquito Repellant

I have problems year round, as the mozzies love me! June and July can be bad for me as it's the rainy season, so more of them. Deet is the only thing that works for me. Other people have good results with other products but not me, unfortunately. 'Deet' is my winter perfume. I have to use it every day.

Manuel Antonio
Level Contributor
86 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Mosquito Repellant

Good afternoon, newbiecr

Mosquitoes usually bites tourist (not locals...), and that depends on the composition of their skins. In other words tourist are genetically built to be bitten by mosquitoes.

You can find several product in any supermarket or pharmacy, in Quepos - Manuel Antonio, that can help you. They can be purchased in spray, or creams. I suggest creams, as the last longer.

Saludos,

PS

I was kidding! Mosquitoes are not racist, they bite any human being, in the same way.

Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Mosquito Repellant

Different products work differently for different people - I always used Avon-skin-so soft - it works for me, but not for other people. My best protection is having my husband nearby beacuse apparently they find him much sweeter & leave me alone. LOL

My grandfather found eating a lot of garlic can help, or taking garlic tablets

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
8,265 posts
44 reviews
24 helpful votes
4. Re: Mosquito Repellant

There is a guy local to me who makes a repellant out of Cinnamon oil. I dig it because its all natural, works like a charm, and you walk around smelling like a cinnamon bun.

The name of it is "Mosquirrofio"

If you see it while you are here snatch it up!

Cheers

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
8,038 posts
8 reviews
15 helpful votes
5. Re: Mosquito Repellant

June & July in a tropical rain forest is definitely mosquito season. I find them worst at dawn & dusk/nighttime. Deet is probably the strongest & most effective repellent, but there are a number of less noxious 'natural' products such as citronella, etc.

The mosquitoes love me, so I have to pick up a bottle of clear calamina lotion too. Readily available at CR pharmacies. In fact I think I bought some in MA the last time I was there.

Some airlines don't allow you to take aerosol sprays aboard in the hold luggage as it's flammable, so take some in liquid/gel form or buy it when you get there.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
3,977 posts
135 reviews
190 helpful votes
6. Re: Mosquito Repellant

Mosquitoes love me too. I have found taking the vitamin B1 and a garlic pill at least 2 weeks before I go works wonders. I do need to use some deet as well, but nearly as much or as often. I rarely get bit when I am taking the supplements and even if I do the reaction isn't as bad. I use to have to stay in from 5:30 pm- 6:30pm and avoid sunsets on the beach, but now I don't.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
190 reviews
74 helpful votes
7. Re: Mosquito Repellant

I live here....and am a magnet as well and I've tried the pills (garlic, vitamins, etc), all the herbals ones, etc but the only thing that I've found that works is OFF Family. It's a nice citrus smelling lotion (that's the one I like-it's a cream) and it's not-greasy and actually has a lower Deet content than many others. It works for me but as other said, many people's body chemistry seems to dictate what works for them. Maybe take a bottle of Avon's Skin so soft and Off Family Lotion. :-) Have fun...it's worth every drop of repellent. :-)

Wendy, La Fortuna, CR

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
8 helpful votes
8. Re: Mosquito Repellant

Thanks all !

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
53,660 posts
122 reviews
21 helpful votes
9. Re: Mosquito Repellant

They love me...when I wear OFF they hate me!

roadadvisor

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,262 posts
82 reviews
62 helpful votes
10. Re: Mosquito Repellant

I live here too and I never have a problem.....never.....I don't use any repellent or take any pills......just lucky I guess!

Tulemar Dave

Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio