We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Change to Buses to MA

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,225 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Another Change to Buses to MA

We arrived yesterday and I called Transportes Morales to check on bus times.

The guy who answered informed me that the buses don't leave from the Coca Cola Bus Station anymore. They leave from Tracopa.

A bit surprised - I asked the guy at the tourist desk in the SJO luggage claim area about it and he said that yes - there has been a change in the last 3 days - very recent.

Anyway - we decided instead to catch the collectivo which stops near the airport at a place called Puente Villa Bonita. It was full and we stood till Orotina... but we got there. We have done this before and it usually is full by the time it gets there.

Anyway - just a heads upfor anyone assuming they have to go to the Coca Cola to catch their bus - if a cab driver or someone tells you there has been a change - it seems that this is true. Don't have many more details - but a friend here in MA says he went to the Coca Cola on Friday only to find it was the wrong place and that he heard that Transportes Morales had been bought out.

pura vida

raquel

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Another Change to Buses to MA

Thank you for the update. It is good to know the new location

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
934 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another Change to Buses to MA

Thanks for the information....

Tulemar Dave

Grecia, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Province of Alajuela
Level Contributor
7,852 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another Change to Buses to MA

Welcome back Raquel! Have a great trip and thanks for the heads up.

Manuel Antonio
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Another Change to Buses to MA

Where is the Tracopa station?? Thanks for the info, this is important stuff!!

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,225 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another Change to Buses to MA

There is now a poster at the Quepos bus station ticket office describing the change.

Tracopa is near Plaz Viquez. - Calle 5 and Avenida 20. They say it is where the Bus Station for Cartage used to be.

www.tracopacr.com/sucursales.html#sanjose

raquel

Montezuma, Costa...
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another Change to Buses to MA

I've been to Tracopa many times on the way to Panama, they seem to do points south of San Jose, so MA would make sense.

It's in an industial area just outside downtown, I would not try to walk it, but any taxi driver will know it. The station itself is quite nice, way nicer than Coca Cola, and there is a little cafeteria and a clean bathroom

For the David, Panama bus I know they recommend buying yoiur ticket the day before. If you can't get there to do that, then try to arrive early. You buy the ticket at the cashier window, not from the driver or conductor

UK
Level Contributor
293 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another Change to Buses to MA

Just to double check this, so for going from San Jose to Quepos or MA you need to go to this new station Tracopa rather than Coca Cola ?

And Transporte Morales is NO longer the bus company that does this route !?

Is that a permanent change .... !

Punta Uva, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Viejo de Talamanca
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another Change to Buses to MA

New station, but Transporte Morales still bus company.

UK
Level Contributor
293 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another Change to Buses to MA

Thanks for the reply.

I'm planning to use this service in a few weeks time, so good to know that's still the station - I will also ask the locals when I'm in San Jose (I speak some Spanish).

I just hope that they let me take my carry-on up on the bus (hand-luggage that you take with you to the plane). I'm happy to put my suitcase below and hope for the best (that it won't suddenly find legs and walk !? LOL).

But my carry-on will have some camera gear, laptop and other valuable stuff and I will not part with - in that case need to find another form of transport !

Do they have over-head shelves for smaller bags and rucksacks !? Mine is small so it can go there if there's one, or I could just put it under my seat (locked !)...

Cheers,

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,655 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another Change to Buses to MA

For your larger bag, put it in the compartment underneath and sit on the side opposite the driver. This way, you can watch if the compartment is opened at a bus stop.

Bring your "valuables" on board, by all means, but don't put that bag in the overhead bin. Keep it with you in your seat. Put it on your lap or under your legs by your feet but just not in the overhead bin.

If the bus is not crowded, buy two tickets and you can put your bag in the seat next to you.

Edited: 19 December 2011, 13:36
Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio...