We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Costa Rica

California
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Honeymoon in Costa Rica

My wife and I are planning a trip to Costa Rica in mid-January for our honeymoon. We want to combine a little bit of everything: beach, rainforest, culture. Which area would have those interestes? By the way my wife is pregnanted so rought adventure things are out of the question..:-). We would love to visit San Jose also. Thanks.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
50,953 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: Honeymoon in Costa Rica

Dear Rio...

Maybe Arenal..Monteverde and Manuel Antonio...it is a very common itinerary...and a lot to see and do...even if your wife for her condition ..may be not aprt of some tours...she can always enjoy the views and nature...

roadadivsor

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
80 reviews
2. Re: Honeymoon in Costa Rica

If your wife is pregnant....I would just split your time between two places.....instead of doing a lot of travel......if you want culture.....San Jose has the museums......and Manuel Antonio has everything else!

Tulemar Dave

Manuel Antonio
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
3. Re: Honeymoon in Costa Rica

Congratulations! I would recommend to get out of San Jose as quick as possible, it really is not worth spending much time there. I'm not sure how much time you have, but I would recommend a split between Arenal area and Manuel Antonio. It's a bit of the best of both worlds. I would make sure with your Dr. that she can spend time in the hot springs though, as if she can't then you may want to skip that and just head to our area and minimize the driving as Dave mentioned. In our area, there are quite a few tours she would have no problems doing such as park hike (its easy walking), the sailing/snorkel tour, mangrove boat tour, maybe even atv's, vanilla spice farm, or go to the spa where they have special pregnancy massages. Otherwise, just relax on the beach, as it will be a long time before you get much relax in your life after the baby!! Enjoy!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,958 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: Honeymoon in Costa Rica

I agree that limiting the number of spots you stay is a wise idea but I'd suggest you split time between Manuel Antonio and the Central Valley outside San Jose. Basing yourself in San Jose itself for a few days can cause problems as the City traffic can be a complete hassle. If you stayed outside the City you can easily manage a daytrip in to see the museums, do a little shopping (be sure and check out Galeria Namu) and walk the central parks. Basing yourself outside the city but in the central valley can provide easier access for daytrips to Poas Volcano, Doka coffee estate, LaPaz waterfall gardens and the waterfall and butterfly garden near Bajos del Toro as well as a more scenic natural setting. Plus you don't have to fight that traffic everyday. Don't know what your budget is but high end spots include Finca Rosa Blanca anad Xandari. My favorite B&B in the central valley is Casa Bella Rita but there are lots of good choices depedning on your budget and what you are looking for.

Manuel Antonio would be a good 2nd location because of the gorgeous beach, easy and flat nature hikes inside the park as well as lots of possible excursions to enjoy nature and wildlife. Its a 3 hour drive from San Jose or a 20 minute plane ride on SANSA or Nature Air (into Quepos).

California
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Honeymoon in Costa Rica

Thanks everyone for your recommendation. How are the beaches in MA? I mean we have gone to Aruba, Punta Cana, Playa Del Carmen so we always try to compare the beaches. We both love beach so it is our priority.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
6. Re: Honeymoon in Costa Rica

Honestly, the beach in MA is just okay. No comparison to those other beaches. Unlike those other destinations, CR has infinitely more to offer than just a beach. You'll be wowed by the natural beauty. It's a nature lover's dream. I love those mentioned beaches too but am willing to forgo them for my 5th visit to Costa Rica.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,958 posts
23 reviews
7. Re: Honeymoon in Costa Rica

My two favorite beach hotels are Ylang Ylang Beach Resort in Montezuma and the Hotel Punta Islita. You can fly to both on Sansa or Nature Air and enjoy a little more seclusion than Manuel Antonio. While there are some eild and beautiful beaches in Costa Rica, you don't have the long white sand beaches or the beach crowds you'd find in Punta Cana or Playa del Carmen. Just take a look at the photos on www.nicoyapeninsula.com for an idea of Costa Rican beaches.

Michigan
Level Contributor
90 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Honeymoon in Costa Rica

I thought the MA beaches were very beautiful, but very small and therefore somewhat crowded. Its not a place I would want to spend too much time at because of that. Anything south of that, or on the Nicoya penninsula tend to be pretty nice with surf, long stretches of sand, and some dramatic rocky outcrops.

9. Re: Honeymoon in Costa Rica

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2012, 10:19
Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio