We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car hassles

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Harwich Port...
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rental car hassles

We are traveling to CR in early December. Flying into San Jose and traveling to MA with friends via private driver to a rental house for one week and returning to SJ again with private driver. From there my husband and I are traveling to La Fortuna for 4 days and we would really like to have a rental car while we are there. We are experienced travelers and have always rented cars no matter where we travel but with all of the problems I have read about with rental cars on TA I am wondering if we are better off waiting until we get to La Fortuna to rent the car or just go ahead and rent in San Jose. Is it difficult to rent a car in La Fortuna?

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental car hassles

If you are flying back out of SJ, then rent something in SJ to use in La Fortuna/Arenal. All the majors are represented. The only hassle many people seem to have is the necessity of mandatory insurance, with fees that almost double the price. When you get a quote, make sure the insurance is included, and when you arrive, check the car carefully for any damage. A little homework, and a careful examination should make the process fairly trouble free. There is much to see on the way to La Fortuna, perhaps take the Naranjo/Zarcero route, a little extra time, but some great mountain and valley views. Try the El Mirador restaurant neat Llano Bonito for great coffee and comida tipica. Have a great trip

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
948 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental car hassles

All of the major car rental companies that I know of, with the exception of Adobe, force you to take all of the extra insurance coverage......it's really too bad.....a negative for the tourism industry in Costa Rica.

Tulemar Dave

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
14,492 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental car hassles

There are no more hassle renting a car in Costa Rica then renting a car in majority of other tourist destinations. An additional insurance is big business for any rental car company so they will try to sell you as highest as possible. A mandatory insurance, as said above, is mandatory so be sure to get a quote that includes it. That is all. Majority of claims are coming from people that have booked their car through third parties and the price quoted did not matched the final price, and from the substandard services - but that is an entirely subjective thing.

Nowhere
Destination Expert
for Playa Samara
Level Contributor
3,959 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental car hassles

TulemarDave - what are you talking about? I've rented hundreds of cars in CR and not a single company has ever forced me to purchase ANY of their extra insurance.

Can you explain what you mean?

Grecia, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
916 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental car hassles

This might answer your question framptonian www.ticotravel.com/costarica/inseuropcar.htm

The posters here are responding to the title of the thread.."Hassles etc..", because, often it is a hassle, when the employee of the agency does not advise the renter/tourist about mandatory insurance.

Harwich Port...
Level Contributor
97 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental car hassles

Thanks for the responses. We will go ahead and rent a vehicle for the La Fortuna portion of our trip. I can't imagine being on vacation without a car. I am just amazed at all of the posts on this forum regarding car rental . In all of our research on TA for our travels to various locations I have never seen car rentals as such an issue. Regardless we cannot wait to experience Costa Rica!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,099 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental car hassles

Go ahead and rent the car...in San Jose or La Fortuna...nice easy way...just be sure to check every little dent at your car...tools...tire condition...windows and windshield for any crack...every thing is going to be OK...try to deal with a big company....our raods are in great condition at elast until today!

roadadvisor

Manuel Antonio
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental car hassles

I would rent the car in SJ and make the 2.5 hr drive. This will save you paying $$ for another private driver and it will be handy to explore more of the La Fortuna area.

Also....a have never been forced to buy more insurance than the basic coverage, though if I know I am going offroad, I pay the extra. Just be sure to go over the car and make sure they mark every little thing before signing. Enjoy!

Boston...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental car hassles

You're going to love Costa Rica but my advice is DO NOT RENT FROM TRI-COLOR CAR RENTAL as we got royally ripped off by them.

Boston...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental car hassles

You're going to love Costa Rica but my advice is DO NOT RENT FROM TRI-COLOR CAR RENTAL as we got royally ripped off by them.