We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry or bridge?

Wales
Level Contributor
162 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry or bridge?

We are travelling down from Guanacaste region to Alajuela to stay our last evening before flying home.

We want to drive down a route we didn't take on the way up & hence considering Route 21 and either the "Bridge of Friendship" over on Route 18 and then onto Highway 1, or alternatively, carrying on the 21 down towards eventually Playa Naranjo (on the 161) and taking the ferry across to Puntarenas and then onto Highway 1.

We have all day & are not really in any great rush - ferry times are 12.30 & 5.30pm but not possible to book a place, so if we dont get on, we may have a problem.

Are there any recommendations for either route & which would give us a better day - stopping off as necessary to see any sights, have lunch, which are the worst roads for driving etc?

Thanks for the advice.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,776 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry or bridge?

I have done the "Bridge of Friendship" (does it still bears that name?) section. Interesting and easy drive, nothing special to remember, apart of some guanacaste trees. PanAm1 is usually very busy with truckers so not much time for driver to enjoy the sights. After Puntarenas most of the truck traffic goes via new Caldera highway (based on reports) so using PanAm should be more comfortable although a bit slower. Main problem with the other route is ferry. If I would need to be on an airport the same or next day then I would avoid using ferry.

Wales
Level Contributor
162 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry or bridge?

Thanks - my concern is if I miss the 12.30 ferry & can't get on the 5.30pm one, I'm then stuck until 9pm or have to drive back to the bridge

This then makes it very late arriving at our hotel at the airport for an early flight next day

Looking to be safer to do the bridge I guess. .

Playa Conchal...
Level Contributor
2,059 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry or bridge?

Bridge is a much better option.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
16,776 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry or bridge?

Good choice, cardiffboy. You will be back so save this route for yoiur next visit. I am eager to read your trip report. Off the topic: my daughter was impressed this summer when visiting Cardiff for a week.

Wales
Level Contributor
162 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry or bridge?

Is there anyone out there who can actually tell us about the advantages of the ferry?

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferry or bridge?

You don't state your point of origin, but it seems like you are coming from the north. If so, there is absolutely no advantage to taking the ferry, unless you like looking at water. Some might consider it slightly more scenic.

Santa Teresa, Costa...
Destination Expert
for Mal Pais, Santa Teresa
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferry or bridge?

I would take the bridge and when you get to the intersection where the road off the bridge meets the Inter-American Hwy. there is a great restaurant on your immediate left named Tres Hermanas that has great BBQ!!! There is a huge statue of a bull directly on the corner. It is a perfect spot for a stop before you carry on toward Puntarenas. If you are in a hurry, then take the new toll road into Santa Ana. If you are not in a hurry, take the old highway to the airport and Alajuela. There are gift shops and hammock stores that you can stop at along the way, or take a side route to Sarchi and check out the wood-working shops and gift shops there. and carry onto Grecia and see the unusual metal church before getting back onto the highway toward where ever you happen to be staying for the night.

Manuel Antonio
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferry or bridge?

The bridge is faster and easier in my experience. Enjoy!

Wales
Level Contributor
162 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferry or bridge?

Thank you - appreciated & looks like the bridge is now a definite.

10. Re: Ferry or bridge?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2014, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio