We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verde Mar or Other Budget Hotels

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Verde Mar or Other Budget Hotels

I'm travelling on a budget trip with 3 women in early 30's. We are looking to keep it inexpensive and want easy access to the beach and the park. We can live without amenities.

I've read some bad things about the beds at Verde Mar. Any comments? And anybody stay in the apartment room? It has one queen bed and 2 bunk beds.

I'm also considering La Posada Jungle, Vela Bar and Costa Verde.

NY
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Verde Mar or Other Budget Hotels

We stayed in Hotel Verde Mar around New Year's. I am sure there are better hotels there. The good things I can say about this place are - it's clean, it's one of the few hotels there that is right on the beach, which was very convenient, we got a room with 1 queen bed and a kitchenette (and saved money on going out less for meals), and it has a library, so you can borrow books to read in the shade on the beach that is a minute walk through the treed area behind the hotel. The negatives - pillows made of cotton balls, shower with no water pressure whatsoever (but water was hot), the windows don't open and have metal bars, so you run the air conditioning a lot, which is right next to the bed and blows right at you. We were not bothered by it but others there complained of the loud music on party nights at the discoteque that's closeby. We just listened to the air conditioner hum instead. We couldn't open the curtains in the room because windows on one side were facing the walkway (motel style) and on the other side camping tents of the next property. The broken ceiling panels over the walkway and the dusty dated outdoor furniture show that this place is not taken care of well. The staff told us not to go alone past the main beach inside the park and tried to sell us a $40 tour guide. Taking a guide before the park entrance would have cost $20 in addition to the $7 entrance fee. We hiked through most of the park without a guide - it was easy to navigate and wildlife was easy to see. So, don't trust the tours sales pitches at reception desk.

Here is a map where you can look up locations of the different hotels. I like the little side street where Hotel Vela Bar and La Posada are. There are a few others there also. It's about a 5 minute walk to the beach and the park. This is on the bottom of the hill, so no need to walk down the hilly road (or drive or take the local bus) like you would from Costa Verde.

cupotico.com/maps/…20maps.html

Hope you are reading through the reviews here on Tripadvisor and elsewhere on the web. It's amazing what little insights you can learn from people who have been there. A beautiful website and a higher price does not mean a better hotel. Speaking of price, you said you are travelling on a budget. I don't know what your budget is, but the hotels you chose are in the middle to upper middle of the range. There are more budget places in Manuel Antonio. I can't recommend any specific place, since I only stayed in one. By the way, the water pressure seems to be a problem in different hotels. If that's important to you make sure to ask the hotels about their water situation. The story we were given by Verde Mar (and I don't know how true it is) is that Quepos sends water to some hotels during one part of the day and to others during another part of the day, and each hotel keeps their own tanks and then distributes the water to the rooms. I guess some hotels are able to do it better than others.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Verde Mar or Other Budget Hotels

Check out Cabinas Espadilla (www.espadilla.com). Cute property, easy walk to Playa Espadilla and the park entrance.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Verde Mar or Other Budget Hotels

Thank you. By budget we are hoping for under $100 a night. There are three of us, so we want that to be in one room if possible. We don't want so budget that it's like a hostel.

A number of reviews of Vela Bar said it wasn't very clean. That concerns me. Posada is really my first choice I think, but I'm waiting to hear if they can get a cot into a bungalow so we each have seperate beds.

The room at the Verde Mar is only $70 and includes three beds, but two are bunk beds.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Verde Mar or Other Budget Hotels

Mister Josh,

Have you stayed at the Cabinas? One person who reviewed it mentioned a mildew smell which made me take it off the list.

As of now, we are planning to stay at La Posada if they have a cot they can put in the room (waiting for an email) and if not in Verde Mar.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Verde Mar or Other Budget Hotels

2-3 years ago... I think it was a good 25% cheaper then, but that's the Manuel Antonio story. Clean, well-kept. I like that it was set back on a side road but an easy walk to the park, beach, and few restaurants/bars down at the intersection. Can't speak to the mildew issue.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Verde Mar or Other Budget Hotels

We decided on La Posada Jungle Bungalows. They have a new building we are staying in.

lake tahoe
Level Contributor
160 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Verde Mar or Other Budget Hotels

How far is the walk down to beach from El Pasado? Is it in the same area as Playa Espadilla Hotel. I am trying to chose between the two?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Verde Mar or Other Budget Hotels

mauilover,

Have you read the reviews of La Posada on this site? Reviewers have said a couple hunderd yards from the beach.

I personally picked La Posada from those reviews. People just seem to love it.

Level Contributor
87 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Verde Mar or Other Budget Hotels

Dania...are all the rooms new or which ones?

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Verde Mar or Other Budget Hotels

The website says the Bungalows were built in 2004. Mike, the owner, told me in an email that a room was available in their new building. I don't know what that building is like or how many rooms they have. There is no info on the website about the new building.

Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio