We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mangroves question

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Iowa
Level Contributor
291 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Mangroves question

Hi everyone,

We will be staying up near Hacienda Baru. I want to see a mangrove area. Question....

Can you hike into the mangrove area of Hacienda Baru without a guide? I have 2 kids that aren't up for the 3-4 hour hike they offer through there. They can do 2 hours of foot usually.

or

Should we drive up to MA to do the boat tour there? My only concern with that is I read you have to just stand around & wait for the tide to be right before you can go out.....that could get hot & boring

thanks!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mangroves question

NIce tour at the Manuel Antonio mangrove...send a mail to...avenatura@racsa.co.cr...great people to dealt with...good guides...for the mangrove kayak tour...

roadadvisor

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
919 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mangroves question

Hi....at the magrove tours in Quepos.....they schedule the tours around the tide schedule....so there is no standing around and waiting....when you book....they will tell you what time the tour starts for that day......you can also do the that tour at night!

Tulemar Dave

London, England...
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mangroves question

Get in contact with Pablo and Juan at Manuel Antonio Expeditions, they're very helpful and can point you in the right direction. If you chose to use them I can 100% recommend them, we had an excellent day with them.

manuelantonioexpeditions.blogspot.co.uk/

Manuel Antonio
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mangroves question

The tour is better in the Damas Island area. It is very easy to arrange this with a tour operator and meet them at the proper hour for the boat launch (which is fairly easy to find and about 50 mins drive from Hacienda Baru). If you need help with that, you can PM me and I will send you some companies to contact. Enjoy!

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,266 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mangroves question

Be warned that a mangrove tour could get very boring for children, even in a boat. Lots of time between wildlife sightings. Fascinating ecology, but some kids can pay attention to that longer than others.

Please make sure to book a tour that does NOT feed the monkeys--some your operators do this as a cheap way to impress tourists, but it is unethical as it is very bad for the monkeys.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos
Level Contributor
6,234 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mangroves question

Can someone recommend some good tour companies that do not feed the monkeys on the Damas mangrove tour?

Thanks for the help!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
8,848 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mangroves question

Why are you heading to Islas Damas north of Manuel Antonio when there are mangroves much closer to Hacienda Baru? I'd suggest a kayak tour in the Hatillo mangroves assuming you can put 1 kid in @ double kayak with an adult. See more at pineapplekayaktours.com/Tours/Pages/Hatillo_… There are a number of other companies that offer this tour and there will be far fewer folks on the water at Hatillo.

Iowa
Level Contributor
291 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mangroves question

Thank you everyone for the info & contacts. CRfan, I don't want to kayak with them. They can't swim, but thank you anyway.

9. Re: Mangroves question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2014, 06:15