We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight from San Jose to Quepos on Sansa

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Flight from San Jose to Quepos on Sansa

We are arriving in Oct. to San Jose and then flying from San Jose to Quepos on Sansa.

From what I've gathered I can get to my Sansa flight very easily by walking from the San Jose airport. Is it 10 min? 20 min?

Also, how much time should I comfortably allow for my flight to land to get to the gate for my Sansa flight?

Thank you!

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
919 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight from San Jose to Quepos on Sansa

HI.....it is about a 10 minute walk between the two terminals......to give you enough time between your flights.....to go thru passport control/immigration and get your bags.....you'll need 1 hour......and you need to arrive at Sansa 30 minutes prior to your flight leaving.......or they could release your seat.....so to be comfortable......2 hours.......you also have to consider that your flight from the US might arrive late (it happens).....and the weather......I've allowed much less time and made it.....but I've done it before.....and know how it all works....and had other options ready in case in didn't...there are so many factors involved.....have a great trip.

Tulemar Dave

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
22 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight from San Jose to Quepos on Sansa

Thank you Dave. Will our Sansa flight take off from the same airport, just a different gate, or do we actually leave the airport and go to a different airport?

In the event we miss our flight, what should we plan as a backup?

Thank you!

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
919 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight from San Jose to Quepos on Sansa

You will actually leave the international terminal....and walk about 2 blocks....to the small regional terminal.....located at the same airport......if you miss your flight....because your flight into Costa Rica was late.....or delays with baggage/immigration......Sansa will do nothing for you.....you can either pay for another ticket on a later flight......or pay for a taxi driver to drive you over......you'll have to negotiate a rate......around $130-$160 on the spot like that......last option....is to just arrange a private van/driver in advance and not be concerned about the flight......they'll be waiting for you....whether your flight is late or not....and bring you over....about 3.5 hours (you'll stop at least once for snacks, restroom, crocodiles, etc)......and the price is about the same for 2 persons flying.

Tulemar Dave

Manuel Antonio
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight from San Jose to Quepos on Sansa

Dave spelled it out pretty clearly for everything, it is really easy to connect if your flights run on time. I would try to leave a little more time for arriving to the Sansa gate. I have had friends arrive 30 mins before and they have been turned away even though the flight was not full. Best to have min 45 min lead time to be safe. Enjoy!

Level Contributor
126 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight from San Jose to Quepos on Sansa

Hope it's ok to jump into this question, but I am considering flying from SJO to Manuel Antonio on Nature Air. Is it in the same terminal also? I land at 10am, and the Nature Air flight doesn't leave till 2:15pm, so there should plenty of time. Since we'll probably have a few hours of waiting...are there restaurants and shops in the airport?

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
919 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight from San Jose to Quepos on Sansa

Good question.....and this will cause a lot of confusion.......Nature Air is based out of the downtown San Jose airport.....(Pavas)......all of their flights originate there.....it is about a 30 minute taxi ride, at your time of the day.....HOWEVER.......they are just starting flights from the San Jose International airport (Juan Santamaria) to Quepos.......but only a limited number.....the rest are still from Pavas.....it is very important for you to check with them to see if your flight leaves from the international airport or the Pavas airport.....and if it leaves from the international airport.....WHERE is their GATE located? If it leaves from Pavas, you can walk out of the airport and get a taxi to Pavas.

Tulemar Dave

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,389 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight from San Jose to Quepos on Sansa

tcand: No, this is another terminal altogether and it is located in Pavas (approx. 20-30 mins. via vehicle, not walking) from SJO. Although it is my understanding that some of the NatureAir flights are now departing/arriving closer to SJO, I don't believe the 2:15 pm is one of them. Have you considered private transport to Manuel Antonio (and sorry I don't want to throw a monkey wrench into your plans). For the amount of time you have alloted, you might consider this and arrive a tad earlier than the Nature Air flight. Just a few thoughts ...

Level Contributor
126 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight from San Jose to Quepos on Sansa

Dave & Lisa - thanks for the info on Nature Air, good to know! I'll double check whether the flight departs from Pavas vs SJO. I'm glad I asked. What I find interesting is that a private transfer from SJ to MA is about $150, and takes 3-4hrs. The flight for 2 people costs about $170 and takes 30min. So for $10pp extra you can save about 2.5 to 3.5hrs of travel time. Seems like a good option, unless I'm missing something. Anyway, thanks again!!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight from San Jose to Quepos on Sansa

You are corrrect about the cost...but if you are flying NAture Air...add at least $ 20.00 to take a taxi to Pavas...

Driving is now days 2.45 hours...great road...all the way from SJO to MA...and a great ride...maybe you can drive one way and fly the other way...a lot better to fly SANSA a lot easier ...flying in and out of SJO...just 10 minutes walking from Arrivals to SANSA counter...

roadadvisor

Canada
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight from San Jose to Quepos on Sansa

Tcansand, just watch the baggage restrictions. The only thing you might miss is some of the views along the way, but the views from the plane are also amazing.