We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any Animals To Be Wary of In Manuel Antonio?

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Any Animals To Be Wary of In Manuel Antonio?

HI!!! I am planning on living in Manuel Antonio for a few months this year. I plan on spending a lot of time outdoors, both day and night, and was wondering if there's any animals to be wary of, both land and sea? How are the insects there? Lots of mosquitos?

Are animal attack risks greater at night?

Are there dangerous jellyfish in those waters, or any other stinging sea creatures, or fish that bite?

Brooklyn, New York
Destination Expert
for Sarapiqui
Level Contributor
5,280 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any Animals To Be Wary of In Manuel Antonio?

The capuchin monkeys have zero respect for people and will try to steal your food/drinks/shiny objects like keys/anything else they fancy.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Any Animals To Be Wary of In Manuel Antonio?

do they ever bite or scratch people? thanks. lol. Maybe the monkey stealing thing might be a good thing to keep me on my toes and make sure I don't let anything out of sight.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,845 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any Animals To Be Wary of In Manuel Antonio?

If you are driving watch our for the humans along the road to the park who will try to convince you to park there and take your money.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any Animals To Be Wary of In Manuel Antonio?

Is the crocodile still around that was taking ocean dips?

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any Animals To Be Wary of In Manuel Antonio?

Monkys will bite if you upset them. One time we were walking down a trail and came across a couple of them in a tree. We had some fruit. Several people fed them. One woman had a banana and refused to give the monkey any when he held out his hand. As she walked past, he grabbed her hair and yanked it as hard as he could. Fair enough.

There is a venemous snake called the fer-de-lance. Rare..but then it only takes one bite. They tend to be nocturnal. They like to hide in leaf litter. In which case they are impossible to see. Step on one during the day while it is sleeping and you could get bitten. Best advice then is to rush to a hospital or die. There is another type of snake..lives in trees and eats birds. Poisonous but tends to go after small animals.

Mosquitos.. that is the national bird. Take repellant. Best is Sawyer Jungle Juice. 98% DEET. Buy from Amazon or REI. It is liquid so can be applied in a controlled manner. Hint.. keep a set of clothes just for walking in jungle. Apply to the clothes and it last a long time whereas on the skin it can sweat off. I've used it in jungles all through Central America and in the Amazon Basin.

Botflies..other wise known as warbles.. are a pet that folks often acquire. They also infect animals www.youtube.com/watch…

Don't eat colorful frogs.

There are bats. I've stayed in places that have them in the roof. The small ones tend to eat insects so are nice to have around. Same goes for geckos.

You don't have any silly phobias about very large spiders do you?

The odd crocodile but they don't eat the entire person.

A lot of sloths. Just don't pass out drunk outside.

Manuel Antonio has a serious surfer infestation. Very hard to eradicate.

Costa Rica is said to have 5% of the entire planet's bio diversity so you are going to come across stuff you have never seen or even imagined. That is one of it's greatest attractions.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any Animals To Be Wary of In Manuel Antonio?

@103billw - a good Boa will soon get rid of any bats in the roof! Amusing post!

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Any Animals To Be Wary of In Manuel Antonio?

Sara, It was in a hotel in Cahuita that we had the big bat infestation. Never had any mosquitos in the room The only problem was their roof hole was directly over one of the beds. In the morning the guy in the bed awoke to discover he had white hair.

Edited: 05 September 2013, 02:23
Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,629 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any Animals To Be Wary of In Manuel Antonio?

But did you find anything creepy and crawly in Manuel Antonio? Bats smell terrible, your poor room mate!

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Any Animals To Be Wary of In Manuel Antonio?

"But did you find anything creepy and crawly in Manuel Antonio?" Didn't I mention the surfers?

Manuel Antonio
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Any Animals To Be Wary of In Manuel Antonio?

It's the jungle. When you spend a lot of time here you are bound to run into a snake or two, curious monkeys, scorpions, spiders, other large insects, crocs and any other number of other creatures that are common to our eco-system. However, they are not out to get you, so use common sense and you can easily live in harmony with nature! Enjoy!

Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio...