We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any "must see or do's" in The MA area

Cadogan
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Any "must see or do's" in The MA area

This is our 4th trip to Costa Rica, so have ziplined, numerous wildlfe adventures, ATV's, mangroves. (but are willing do any of these again if they are recommended)

WE love adventure but even more LOVE culture mixed into the tour. Eating at Tico restrauants, visiting with the locals, attending festivals are very interesting to us. WE are in the area for a month in Jan. I would love to hear of any MUST see or do on your lists. thanks

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
982 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any "must see or do's" in The MA area

Make sure you hit the feria (farmer's market) in Quepos....along the waterfront.....on Saturday mornings.......and for adventure/culture/locals......take the ADR Adventure Park......lots of fun.....great guides......and beautiful, local scenery up in the mountains.....have a great trip!

Tulemar Dave

Mohrsville...
Level Contributor
215 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any "must see or do's" in The MA area

I would have to say the Vacation Buggy tour .... you get a great look and feel for the local culture with lunch included at one of the areas sodas located way off the beaten path .... Check it out !

United States
Level Contributor
200 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any "must see or do's" in The MA area

I'll second the vote for the ADR adventure! Best day of our trip!!! Not just thrilling. The guy who runs it is reverent to the land and you will certainly get some culture that you might not get in other ways.

Edited: 25 October 2013, 13:11
La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any "must see or do's" in The MA area

There is plenty to do in Manuel Antonio, so I am sure you'll receive a lot of responses there. As you have so much time, you should take the time to drive down the coast to explore Costa Ballena. Playa Ventanas is a lot of fun as there are caves on the beach. You could see the famous whale tail at Marino Ballena National Park. Hacienda Baru is a really cool place to visit with wildlife trails, canopy, beach area and more. There is also an overnight tour in the Platanillo that allows you to hike in (pretty tough hike) and stay the night in a cave which is tucked behind a waterfall. These are just a few suggestions, but there really is a lot to do down there as there are plenty of waterfalls along the drive and small deserted beach areas.

Uvita, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
469 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Any "must see or do's" in The MA area

What about visiting the indian villages of Boruca and Curre? (only 1 1/2 h driving south of MA, even guided tours, even with overnight stay in/with the indian people) You meet (original) locals, learn about their culture (nice little museum in Boruca with good english speaking local guides telling you about the traditional stories of the tribe and about their tricking the conquerers), posibiity to see how they carve and paint their famous masks and the story behind, watching them how to die (self harvested) cotton with all natural colours, how to wave, ... incredible informative and hosting! good meals! can be combined with a waterfall tour. Or visit the indian tribe of Terraba and learn about their sugar cane mills or join them for a tour to the giants of the woods, swimming in their rivers ... and the absolute highlight: the indian "dance of the devils" - in the third or last week of january in the indian village of Curre, right at the main road between Palmar and Buenos Aires! That is a must see for culture lovers, very colorful, exciting and relaxing at the same time, an atmosphere beyond words!

Cadogan
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Any "must see or do's" in The MA area

Wow thank you everyone. This is exactly what I was hoping for. Tours are great if they aren't the ordinary tourist thing...I know that doesn't make a lot of sense. And yet you all seemed to understand my inquiry. Keep them coming we are there for a month.

Cadogan
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Any "must see or do's" in The MA area

I am very interested in the " Or visit the indian tribe of Terraba and learn about their sugar cane mills or join them for a tour to the giants of the woods, swimming in their rivers ... and the absolute highlight: the indian "dance of the devils" - in the third or last week of january in the indian village of Curre, right at the main road between Palmar and Buenos Aires!" can you give me more info on how to arrange this. CRteenamora thanks

Manuel Antonio
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Any "must see or do's" in The MA area

Try the new Santa Juana tour and get a feel for the Typical Costa Rica life. I also love the ADR adventure park, and of course rafting is always fun! If you have a car, exploring Parque Ballena at low tide (to see the whale tale) and a visit to Hacienda Baru along the way is fun too. I also enjoy the Tarcoles crocodile tour by boat.....amazing. Enjoy!

Quepos, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any "must see or do's" in The MA area

I would also recommend going rafting with Amigos Del Rio, on the Savegre River.. you will get to go through the town of Silencio, which is really quite nice, definitely has some local flavor, and as others mentioned the ADR Adventure Park is a must do! Kayaking/snorkeling at Playa Biesanz is great, beautiful, locals beach.

If you have a rental car you could go down to Playa las Ventanas, in Uvita there is a nice watefrall with two huge swimming holes, and several waterfalls in Dominical area. Like Tulemar Dave said, the feria, or famer's market on Friday nights or Saturday mornings is a lot of fun!

If you are going to be there for New Years Eve, there is always a big fireworks show in Quepos, and literally the whole town is there, so lots to see and do!

kc
Level Contributor
49 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any "must see or do's" in The MA area

I am going to be in Guanacaste /Tamarindo area for New years eve is there any where that has fireworks ect?