We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels with private beaches?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
686 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels with private beaches?

I've read the public beach can get really crowded and i would like to avoid that if possible as we are going there during thanksgiving weekend..aside from tulemar, are there any other resorts with private beach? Thx

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
17,298 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels with private beaches?

I am under impression that, technically, all beaches in Costa Rica are public beaches. The difficulty how to reach them might make them more or less public.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
686 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels with private beaches?

I thought tulemar has a private beach but unfirtunately they are boooked

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
365 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels with private beaches?

hum....southern, beaches are never crowed!

But there are no resort either...but I think hotels here, are a lot better...small, often ecologic, private, beautiful...well, this is my point of view. But you have nothing to fear to rent a hotel by yourself in Costa Rica and go out for dinner, book your own tours, etc.

I think that La Cusinga Lodge near Uvita, does have a private part of the beach, ( they told us 2 years ago when we went for ask some infos).

http://www.lacusingalodge.com/

Hope this help!

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Uvita
Uvita
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
United States
Level Contributor
200 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels with private beaches?

I think Arenas Del Mar in Manuel Antonio has access to a more secluded beach. Although, I was in Manuel Antonio during February break, and the public beach is hardly what I would call crowded. But I live in New England, where everyone flocks to beaches on the few nice days a year we have, and people can be towel to towel. So I guess it depends on your perspective.

Mentioned in this post
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Uvita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Uvita, Ojochal
Level Contributor
2,649 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels with private beaches?

There are no private beaches as such in Costa Rica by law, the first 100 mts from high tide is public, and usually there will be some kind of public easement somehow. So when hotels claim they have a private beach, it really means that they have private access and and due to geography unlikely to have non guests. That I know of in Manuel Antonio, Arenas del mar as well as Tulemar have a private access to public beaches, though mostly hotel guests on them. Though there are many beaches in Costa Rica that are nearly deserted.

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
nebraska
Level Contributor
1,244 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels with private beaches?

At this late date, I'd just book a hotel that looks good to you and is available. If it's MA that you are looking at, the city beach itself is not THAT crowded even in High Season (the street traffic is congested). You can have servers that go across the street for your beverages, etc. If you want less people however, the Second beach in the park is nice but you need to carry in your things & water. At Tulemar the main draw is the "privacy" and the shuttle to & from but the beach isn't that great. Just use a taxi as a convenient shuttle & stay where you'd like.

Quepos, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
26 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels with private beaches?

Tulemar has a beach that is only accessible by their private drive, or by water, so if you swim to it, which makes it more or less exclusively for the guests use.They do have a shuttle in the resort that can take you to and from their beach whenever you want, or you can walk and it's about 10 minutes or so from each of the rooms. Arenas Del Mar has also have a private drive, to a portion of the main stretch of the Manuel Antonio public beach called Playitas, which is very popular among the local surf crowd because of the nice waves.

The one drawback with Arenas is the location is very secluded, if you're wanting to be able to walk to area restaurants and such this wouldn't be the best place for you, but if you want to just stay at the resort or at the beach it's a very nice option! Like Joyceh said, you can always enjoy the main stretch of public beach, or there are several beautiful beaches inside of the National Park.

Mentioned in this post
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Madison
Level Contributor
204 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels with private beaches?

We have been to Costa Rica and Manuel Antonio 4 times....there are many beach options. Each with there own benfits.

Playa Espadilla - nicr long,brach, great food, drinks, and beach waiters with chairs and umbrella. Also more importantly because of the strong surf LIFEGUARDS that really seem to care. Careful, there are very strong riptides from time to time.

M.A. Natl Park beaches - small hike that yiu can enjoy the wildlife during. Bathrooms, tables, and beautiful calm waters on one side....nice long beach on the other. Late in day surf gets very strong closer to Tortuga rock. However no surfers or boogey boarders in thesr waters since you pay the park to enter.

Lastly....I am kicking myself for goofing on the name at thr moment...Playa Biesanz?? Its the local beach back near La Mansion. Looooooong walk....worse on way back. However very calm and shallow waters that give yiu great view of Quepos port. Nicr snorkeling early in day. Far far far less crowded til later in afternoon. Leave before dark and yiu can enjoy the Squirrel Monkeys trekking across the toad by Mango Moon.

Enjoy all that M.A. has to offer. Its wonderful and you will miss it when you leave.

MadmanWI

Mentioned in this post
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Playa Biesanz
Playa Biesanz
822 Reviews
Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica
Quepos
Quepos
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
735 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels with private beaches?

As far as I know, you shouldn't have to swim or boat to access Tulemar's beach. As Tomas writes, by law all beaches are public and in cases where the beach is surrounded by private land the landowner is supposed to provide access/easement. Not sure what Tulemar does, but I know that even the Four Seasons has had to comply and provides a separate parking area and shuttle to Playa Nacascolo.

Cahuita, Costa Rica
Destination Expert
for Cahuita
Level Contributor
2,655 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels with private beaches?

I was wondering the same thing, Eliot. The only exception to the beach rule is the beaches within national parks which can be considered to be private as one has to pay to enter them.While I understand the OP's desire for a less touristy beach; it is a fantastic law that allows everyone to have access to the beach.