We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Long Does it Really Take from San Jose to Manuel Antonio

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
How Long Does it Really Take from San Jose to Manuel Antonio

shoot, sorry i meant to write in the title how long does it take to drive this route? i cant edit the title. i know it has been asked, but i have seen so many different answers, so i'll explain my situation. i plan on taking a personal shuttle service from San Juan airport, to my location in Manuel Antonio. It will be on a weekday this coming week so i dont expect traffic to be heavy. can anyone recomment the cheapest shuttle service? im looking for a car i can lie down in because i will be sore from sitting in my flight, i want to lie down in the car. thank you.

Edited: 07 December 2013, 23:51
Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Long Does it Really Take from San Jose to Manuel Antonio

It's just over 3 hours - depending on where you will be going in the Manuel Antonio area.

For a private driver - www.tucanlimoservices.com gets rave reviews here. Make sure you let them know that you will need to be lying down so they can use the proper vehicle.

If you go with "the cheapest shuttle service" - that will be one of the shared van shuttles which may have only you or up to 11 other people so no guarantees about being able to lie down.

You will have to decide which is more important to you: saving money or being able to lie down on the way to Manuel Antonio.

Canada
Level Contributor
4,052 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Long Does it Really Take from San Jose to Manuel Antonio

You will not want to lie down. You will be too excited and enjoying the scenery along the way.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How Long Does it Really Take from San Jose to Manuel Antonio

ok thanks. not sure why i have heard 1.5 hours then. then i will definitely need to lie down. i know i wont want to, but im going to be messed up after mt flight, i know it. i tried to find an airline with lie flat seating.

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
15,517 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Long Does it Really Take from San Jose to Manuel Antonio

First class / business class maybe? Any airline will be more then happy to sell you reclining seats (but it comes with a price!!).

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How Long Does it Really Take from San Jose to Manuel Antonio

I don't know that you will find business class or first class seating for Costa Rica that will lie flat. With either business or first class, you can get a good reclining seat with plenty of room, of course.

If you need some time to "lie flat" after your flight -- your choices are: rent a room near the airport or use private transportation. Depending on how much time you need to "lie down" you can lie down on the floor in the baggage retrieval area until your luggage arrives.

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Long Does it Really Take from San Jose to Manuel Antonio

Personal shuttle service ... I think you mean personal driver? Shuttles are shared with others. If the shuttle is not full, then you might be able to spread out a bit but there is absolutely no guarantee of that unfortunately. And your shuttle might pick up others enroute also. Two and 1/2 hours is a good estimate if the driver/shuttle takes the toll road. Three hours depending if stops are made enroute. As Hattie posted, maybe the best bet is to spend the night near the airport, rest up and hit the road the next day!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: How Long Does it Really Take from San Jose to Manuel Antonio

oh, thanks lisa, then yes i meant personal driver, i want to be alone.

i think tucanlimoservices is personal driver, but do you have other recommendations?

Manuel Antonio
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How Long Does it Really Take from San Jose to Manuel Antonio

Not sure what time you arrive, but perhaps you can catch Sansa or Nature Air and fly the 25 min flight from San Jose. Otherwise, a private driver with no stops along the way can make it easy in 2.5 hrs and you can lay down in their van. If you plan to use a shuttle, then laying down is only an option if the van is not full, but plan at least another hour for the drive depending on how many bathroom stops and hotel pickup/drop offs you have. Enjoy!

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How Long Does it Really Take from San Jose to Manuel Antonio

Morning Sum! Here is a list of private drivers which should be helpful! It's important to tell them that you'll need to lie down for the trip esp. specify if a reclined front seat is acceptable or if you need to lie flat across several seats..

Odyssey Tours (Diego and Alvaro) - info@odysseytourscr.com

Oscar Chavarria - oscardrivercr@gmail.com

Tucan Limousines - rocio@tucanlimoservices.com

Willy - w_opciones@yahoo.com

Wilson - wilson_elsy@yahoo.com

Carlos Bogarin - encantados@ice.co.cr

Danny Jimenez - crdannytravels@yahoo.com

Leo Rodriguez - leratravelcr@yahoo.com

Juan Carlos and Rubier - tjtransfers@gmail.com

Alexander - alajuelatours@gmail.com

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor