We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Ideas for Manuel Antonio

Which Manuel Antonio National Park hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip Ideas for Manuel Antonio

Hello everyone,

I am going to Costa Rica alone and staying at Parador hotel from Jan 8th - 14th. I already booked a waterfall tour.

I would like to bungee jump, have not heard from anyone at Tropical Bungee. Is this company still in business? I do not have a calling plan that supports international calls, but have attempted them via email.

Anyone recommend any scuba diving companies and best areas to dive in Costa Rica (a reasonable distance from Manuel Antonio, please)? Yes, I am open water certified.

I was thinking about exploring Manuel Antonio National Park, doing ADR Adventure TPark 10 in 1 tour, any one Any other recommendations? I would prefer to stay within a reasonable distance of my hotel, but welcome suggestions.

Tips for dress/what to pack- I've been busy with the impending holidays, but I suppose that issue has probably been discussed in many posts and websites.

Best,

Tessa

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,699 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Ideas for Manuel Antonio

Tessa,

Your trip is right around the corner, and I bet you are getting excited!

To start, I don't know anything about Tropical Bungee, so I can't help you there. I would also like some information on that place, as I have never bungee jumped, and would be interested.

As far as diving, there is a company called "Ocean Unlimited" that operates out of Manuel Antonio/Quepos (it actually might be the ONLY dive company out of MA/Quepos?). The diving right around Manuel Antonio isn't great, due to low visibility, but many people still do it, and enjoy it. The BEST diving around Costa Rica is "Cano Island", which is located offshore in Drake Bay, about 50 miles SE of MA/Quepos. I believe Ocean Unlimited offers day trips to Cano Island (you drive about 30 minutes south of Quepos and board the boat from there, and its about 1.5 hours out to the island). The visibility is great, and there are tons of fish, rays and sharks.

As far as zipling, you have many options. The 10-1 adventure tour has the most to offer, but it also is the most expensive (but worth it). If you want a step down, try Canopy Safari, which offers ziplines, a few hanging bridges, and (I believe) 1 rappel. I think the 10-1 adventure is around $175, and the Canopy Safari is around $75. Both include a meal.

You can find plenty of information searching around this forum, as well as reading the write ups posted on here. As far as what to wear- BE COMFORTABLE! The unofficial dress of Costa Rica is a bathing suit! As a guy, I just wear a t-shirt, swim shorts and flip flops everywhere, and bring a pair of Teva's for when I need more foot protection. If I were you, I would just wear your bathing suit under some shorts and a top, or one of those cover up things (sorry, I don't know the term!)

Others will be sure to chime in...

Edited: 19 December 2013, 17:55
San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,036 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Ideas for Manuel Antonio

Tessa...just bring casual clothes...we are casual kind of people around MA...you really do not need any fancy clothes...I will see you around...

roadadvisor

United States
Level Contributor
200 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Ideas for Manuel Antonio

ADR is amazing. I went last week for the second time, and it is beyond words!

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
470 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Ideas for Manuel Antonio

Tropical Bungee is definitely in business. Their website is http://www.bungee.co.cr. It is about 20 minutes from the airport on the Panamerican Highway just after the Grecia turn off. You need reservations ahead of time. You might want to put the Skype ap on your phone, then you can make international calls for pennies. You can use that when you're in Costa Rica, too, if you have a wireless signal. You could do the Tropical Bungee on the way to or from the airport, but it is about 2 1/2 hours from Manuel Antonio.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Ideas for Manuel Antonio

Thanks Shooie. for the reply. I have tried to contact them multiple times. Maybe they are annoyed with me for following up with them. I know the people in Costa Rica are more chill/laid. back That's fine, but I really want to bungee jump. This has been on my bucket list for years and if they think I suck or don't want to deal with me, they should just say, "we are booked that day," - I'd rather hear a negative response than no response at all. Makes me feel like dating and being rejected haha

~~~
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,699 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Ideas for Manuel Antonio

haha, Tessa, I wouldn't worry about it!

As you said, the Costa Rican culture is laid back and time and punctuality isn't at the top of the list (great way to be, and I wish I could be like that here in the US, but it doesn't work that way)...

SO, I am certain that you haven't annoyed them. They probably just haven't looked at their email in a while, or have looked at it, and told themselves they would get back to the customers "tomorrow"... which could mean tomorrow, 3 days from now, a week from now, etc...

Give it some more time... Let me see what my international data plan is like and possibly I could give them a call for you.

(BTW, not sure if you are a sports fan, but I'm a huge Pittsburgh Penguins and Pirates fan! I've spent a lot of time in Pittsburgh)

7. Re: Trip Ideas for Manuel Antonio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Manuel Antonio...