We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manuel Antonio waterfalls - NO horses

Level Contributor
2 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Manuel Antonio waterfalls - NO horses

Any suggestions for a waterfall tour/swim that doesn't involve horses? My husband is highly allergic so it's not an option for us. The only one I've seen requires a 12k hike which also isn't an option. We won't have a car.

Manuel's Tours
Eco Tours, Night Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Aguila Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Pura Vida Tours & Transfers
Eco Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Photography Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
10,335 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manuel Antonio waterfalls - NO horses

Actuar has a great hike to a waterfall in the hills above Manuel Antonio. See actuarcostarica.com/one-day-tours/manuel-ant…

Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,716 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manuel Antonio waterfalls - NO horses

Here are two that are quick, easy hikes:

Pozo Azul

- Located in Dominicalito, this is the second "best" / largest waterfall in the area behind Nauyaca falls. You can park nearby, and walk down steps and a path to get to it. There is a nice rope swing to use if you want to. It's a single fall, about 40 feet high.

La Culebra

- This is a small waterfall located outside of Quepos and frequented by locals. You can park nearby and it's an easy, short walk.

As you probably know, Nauyaca Falls is the best, but it's either a horse ride or an 1.5 hour hike to it... so unfortunately this is out for you.

The other option would be an ATV ride. There are a few companies that offer ATV rides to small waterfalls in the Quepos/Manuel Antonio area.

If anyone can recommend others I would like to know as well!

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
156 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manuel Antonio waterfalls - NO horses

It is possible to go to Nauyaca falls by catching a ride in the truck that brings the food along for the horseback riders. So you basically follow the riders from point to point, to each stopover, all the way to the fall and back. But you need to get the OK from the operator in advance (and pay the fee).

I know they can accommodate one person, not sure how many they can take on.

One issue: the meeting point for Nauyaca falls is far from Quepos, about 10 minutes up the road to San Isidro from Dominical. I have not heard about their having a pick-up van in Quepos - but they may well have one.

United States
Level Contributor
200 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Manuel Antonio waterfalls - NO horses

There are some beautiful falls on the ADR 10 in 1 Adventure!

It is a great day!

Portland, ME
Level Contributor
123 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manuel Antonio waterfalls - NO horses

What about the vacation buggy tour? My group is doing this on our trip and I'm so excited I can hardly stand it! www.vacationbuggy.com is their website.

Manuel Antonio
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Manuel Antonio waterfalls - NO horses

The best options in the immediate area are definitely the ATV tours or the vacation buggy tour. Otherwise, as mentioned the Quepo Canyoning and ADR 10x1 tours have great waterfall options, but you have to be good with ziplining and repelling. Lastly, you may want to consider the hiking in the nearby Rainmaker Reserve. This is not all that difficult hiking, so it may work well for you. Enjoy!

Level Contributor
230 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manuel Antonio waterfalls - NO horses

The Vacation Buggy tour is awesome !!......... They do a welcoming tour ,,,,, and a waterfall / jungle tour ....... I think they have a 4 people minimum though .... but worth double checking on ....

Manuel Antonio...
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Manuel Antonio waterfalls - NO horses

Vacation Buggy is great......you are right......4 people minimum or you have to pay for 4.......sometimes we have couples looking for another couple to share.

Tulemar Dave

Playa del Rey, CA
Level Contributor
240 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Manuel Antonio waterfalls - NO horses

Do the vacation buggy tour on your first day. It's a tour that helps you get acquainted with the area.

Marquette, Michigan
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Manuel Antonio waterfalls - NO horses

Is the La Cubera waterfall within walking distance of the Quepos to Manuel a Antonio bus route? If so, where to get off at?

Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor