We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a car really needed????

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
138 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Is a car really needed????

Landing in San Jose . Thinking of renting a car for about $300

Will be staying in MA for 10 days.

I understand there is a bus in San Jose that takes you directly to MA in about 4 hours for $5

How fo I get it? In addition , I understand there is an bus interstate? that goes from the Airport to MA for $30 How do they compare?

Also getting to and from the Town of Quepos and MA are there buses

Going to the Beach and dinner at night. Getting groceries?

We will probally stay at Villlas Parque.

Also could we rent a car for a day??

Is a car necssary given our circumstances?

Mentioned in this post
Quepos
Quepos
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Atlanta
Level Contributor
88 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is a car really needed????

We were in MA a few months ago for only 5 days and I would say that having a car is NOT a necessity. We stayed at a hotel that was full service so we didn't need groceries, etc. But there was a grocery store in walking distance and restaurants within walking distance too. Cabs are very easy to come by and they are cheap in comparision ($1-2 dollars each way). Also,there is a bus that goes from the Park and the beach (The end of the road) all the way to Quepos and back (stops all along the way at the hotels). I think the public bus was 20 cents each way, or something like that. We took it many times to the park and to dinner at night (it doesn't run as often at night). We were glad we didn't rent a car, the area is small enough that you just don't need it. If you do tours, they usually pick you up.

Mentioned in this post
Quepos
Quepos
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is a car really needed????

You get the bus from Coca Cola bus terminal in downtown SJ. Hold on to all your bags as there is a lot Petty theft. There are 2 classes of buses to Ma, we always take the direct and purchase extra ticket so we can keep our bags on the seat next to us. The direct is a Mercedes with air suspension and recliner seats. When you get to Quepos ask the bus driver to let you off at Villas El Parque.

At the bottom of this link are the bus schedules:

http://www.puntacatedral.com/getting.html

I have had guests take the Interbus from SJ and were very happy. The bus does not go to the airport but will pick you up near the airport at a hotel like the Hampton. The Interbus link and many of your other questions are answered on my FAQ & Link page:

http://members.shaw.ca/joeroc/faq_&_links.htm

Public Bus - Buses between Manuel Antonio Park and Quepos run every 30 minutes from 6 AM to 9 PM. The cost is about 105 colones.

Taxis - can be hailed on the main road and run about 600 colones to Quepos. In Quepos the Taxi Stand is opposite the Bus Station. Returning is about 1000 colones.

Yes you can rent a car for the day. There are several car rental agencies in Quepos.

Have a good time.

Joe

Mentioned in this post
Quepos
Quepos
Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
138 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is a car really needed????

Thanks for your help . How do I get from the Airport to the Coca cola bus stop in San Jose. Also I got a great rate from Tricolor for a small car --Suzuki Alto for $226 including taxes ( I don't need CDW) for the 11 days. What do you think?

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,687 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is a car really needed????

Hi Mustardgirl,

The easiest way to get to the Coca Cola bus station from the airport is to take a cab. It will cost about $14.00 US. Buy your ticket inside the airport. Tell the driver to let you off where the buses for Quepos are. There is a ticket office inside the market building.

The cheapest way - if you don't have alot of luggage and sort of have an idea of what you are doing is to take the Alaljuela-San Jose bus which stops just outside the airport. You can get off at the San Juan hospital on the Paseo Colon and walk about 2 blocks.

You can definitely get along in the Quepos/MA are without a car. However, it is a matter of personal preference.

Also - on the way back, if you take the public bus from MA, you can ask the driver to let you off at the airport.

Pura vida

raquel

Mentioned in this post
Quepos
Quepos
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
138 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is a car really needed????

Public bus maybe a problem as wellas Interstate . Our plane arrives at 7:30 Am . There is not a Direct Bus to MA untill 12 noon and a indirect(which takes 5 hours) untill 10 Am

Also Interstate buses only leave at 8AM - Did I get that correct?

Also my return for a 3Pm flight home appears to be in the wrong time also. What are my choices now???

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is a car really needed????

mustardgirl, the shared tourist bus that you're thinking of is INTERBUS. You can find their schedules online at www.interbusonline.com. Now, while they won't pick you up directly from the airport, they will pick you up a 2-3 minute cab ride away at a few places (The Green Turtle Souvenir Shop is the closest) at 8:45am. You can find this schedule by choosing your origin location as "rio segundo" (that's the area where the airport is). Can you make an 8:45am interbus? It's cutting it close, but if all goes well and you arrive on time, I think you can just make it... but you'll definitely want a Plan B.

There are other shuttles such as graylinecostarica.com, but they also leave at 8am.

If you don't want to wait for the public bus, your only other option aside from renting a car is to take a private taxi.

Unless you are planning on doing some independent touring beyond Manuel Antonio (i.e. without an organized excursion), then you don't need a car. Even if you do want to go check out somewhere else such as Dominical or Jaco on your own, there are public buses from Quepos and clearly you are comfortable with the idea of taking them.

Mentioned in this post
Dominical
Dominical
Jaco
Jaco
Jaco District, Costa Rica
Quepos
Quepos
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is a car really needed????

Actually, there's another option to get down to Quepos/MA. There's an 8:50am Sansa domestic flight (www.flysansa.com/~25 minutes) that you can take from a terminal adjacent to the international airport for $50/pp.

For coming back, you can take the 9:30am direct bus which will drop you off in front of the airport (ask the driver) around 12:30pm/1pm. Only problem is that if the bus is running late, you could potentially miss your flight... The 6am bus will give you even more time, a domestic Sansa flight is an option, as is the Interbus or other shuttles.

Mentioned in this post
Quepos
Quepos
Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,687 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is a car really needed????

From the last time I was there, I seem to remember that they may have added an 9.00 AM Direct Bus to Quepos. In general I think they have added extra direct buses (like one at 7.00 PM - which is not help to you) so perhaps someone in CR like John or Lisa can call Transportes Morales and get an updated schedule.

The other option would be to hire a taxi or private driver. That would probably run you about $125.00 (Do a search in the forum as others have written of their experiences)

If you feel comfortable with driving - your deal from Tricolor sounds excellent.

Good luck

raquel

Mentioned in this post
Quepos
Quepos
Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
138 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is a car really needed????

I Think 9 Am will wotk well . Still need better return

to spend $125 is ridulous . Is that per person each way. Flying a belive is about $50/ person each way

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
138 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is a car really needed????

Mr John . The interstae bus website staes 8AM

The Public does not seem to have a website