We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manuel Antonio Lodging

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Manuel Antonio Lodging

We are a family of four with two boys ages 14 and 11 looking for lodging in the Manuel Antonio area during Christmas break. We'd like a pool and access to the beach. Any suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Tulemar Resort
Tulemar Resort
#2 of 47 hotels in Manuel Antonio
Hotel Plaza Yara
Hotel Plaza Yara
#5 of 47 hotels in Manuel Antonio
Si Como No Resort & Wildlife Refuge
Si Como No Resort & Wildlife Refuge
#11 of 47 hotels in Manuel Antonio
Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
33,009 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manuel Antonio Lodging

Look into Costa Verde. They have a web site.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Costa Verde
Hotel Costa Verde
1,615 Reviews
Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica
Alexandria, VA
Level Contributor
180 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Manuel Antonio Lodging

A lot of the hotels in the area are very nice and have pools, but most don't have beach access. El Parador does have it's own beach access (separate from the park), and there are a couple of hotels close to the beach, but most require a shuttle to the park. HOWEVER, if you want to stay in MA during Christmas you need to make reservations right now. Many are already booked. It's their busiest season. I've only stayed at El Parador and Mariposa. I like them both -- Parador is fancier. Some other hotels are Espadilla, Hotel California, and Mono Azul, Tulemar Bungalows....

Sandy

joyfulheartyoga@cox.net

Mentioned in this post
Parador Resort and Spa
Parador Resort and Spa
2,711 Reviews
La Mariposa Hotel
La Mariposa Hotel
1,566 Reviews
Hotel California
Hotel California
439 Reviews
Tulemar Bungalows & Villas
Tulemar Bungalows...
2,697 Reviews
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
151 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manuel Antonio Lodging

Tulemar Bungalows has a pool and a private beach. The beach is a pretty far walk from the bungalows, but you have drive to it or have the hotel van bring you down. There are boogie boards and sea kayaks available for use, and a small bar. I believe the Buena Vista Villas have access to the same beach, but have a different pool. The waves on the beach can get pretty rough when the tide is coming in and there are some rocks there.

Mentioned in this post
Tulemar Bungalows...
2,697 Reviews
4. Re: Manuel Antonio Lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 December 2006, 22:35
Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
239 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Manuel Antonio Lodging

We stayed at the Tulemar bungalows and have mixed feelings about it.

The bungalow itself was beautifull, with an amazing view. The restaurant is close to just about all the bungalows and it's at the same elevation (i.e. you don't have to walk up/down a hill) - breakfast is really nice there .... but..

....the beach is a hefty walk down and it's pretty grungy.. The manager convinced us to go there instead of to the Manuarl Antonio beach for snorkeling adn we really, really regret it. First of all, they only had 3 kayaks total, and there were 4 of us so we had to wait a long time to get them.

Snorkeling gear - disgusting. They had no fin that were kid sizes, and luckily we had brought our own masks & snorkels since they were out of those.

...and it had really bad waves anyways.. we wasted the entire afternoon and had a really bad, overpriced lunch there, and finally got the kayaks 30 minutes before it started raining.

...and our first night there we went ot dinner in their restaurant. There was also a wedding reception there so the service was incredibly poor, we waited forever to order, for our food - definitely teh worst service we had in Costa Rica, adn we wanted to go swimming in the pool afterwards but couldn't because the wedding reception had put floating flower vases there with candles and the pool was blocked off.... and they were really, really loud. I complained, but they couldn't do anything, and, I just wish I was warned, I definitely wouldn't have gone there.

Mentioned in this post
Tulemar Bungalows...
2,697 Reviews
Costa Rica
Costa Rica
Central America
NY
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Manuel Antonio Lodging

If you want a quick easy walk to the beach your hotel choices would be very limited - look at the few on a quiet side street by the park (Espadilla, La Posada, etc. - click on the palm tree for a map at .http://www.laposadajungle.com/getting_here.htm). If you want to drive or take a bus or hotel shuttle to the beach then any hotel in Manuel Antonio is within about 15 minutes drive - see the following for the list - cupotico.com/maps/…20maps.html and www.discoveringcostarica.com for inks to many hotels direct websites. Tripadvisor side does have reviews for many hotels there, but remember there are a lot more hotels in Manuel Antonio than just the most popular ones.

Hotel Verde Mar that Storm mentioned is in a whole different category of hotels compared to Tulemar, Mariposa, Parador, etc. It really depends on what you are looking for... We stayed in Hotel Verde Mar around last New Year's. I am sure there are better hotels there. The good things I can say about this place are - it's clean, it's one of the few hotels there that is right on the beach, which was very convenient, we got a room with 1 queen bed and a kitchenette (and saved money on going out less for meals), and it has a library, so you can borrow books to read in the shade on the beach that is a minute walk through the treed area behind the hotel. The negatives - pillows made of cotton balls, shower with no water pressure whatsoever (but water was hot), the windows don't open and have metal bars, so you run the air conditioning a lot, which is right next to the bed and blows right at you. We were not bothered by it but others there complained of the loud music on party nights at the discoteque that's closeby. We just listened to the air conditioner hum instead. We couldn't open the curtains in the room because windows on one side were facing the walkway (motel style) and on the other side camping tents of the next property. The broken ceiling panels over the walkway and the dusty dated outdoor furniture show that this place is not taken care of well.

Mentioned in this post
Manuel Antonio
Manuel Antonio
Province of Puntarenas, Costa Rica
Hotel Verde Mar
Hotel Verde Mar
590 Reviews
Tulemar Bungalows...
2,697 Reviews
La Mariposa Hotel
La Mariposa Hotel
1,566 Reviews
Parador Resort and Spa
Parador Resort and Spa
2,711 Reviews
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
200 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Manuel Antonio Lodging

Travel1000, thanks for clarifying that for me. Tulemar and Verde Mar aren't even the same sport when it comes to hotels. Karen is making improvements to Verde Mar, but comparing Verde Mar and tulemar is like Motel 6 to Hilton.

Storm

Mentioned in this post
Tulemar Bungalows...
2,697 Reviews
Hotel Verde Mar
Hotel Verde Mar
590 Reviews
Boston...
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Manuel Antonio Lodging

Although there is no direct beach access, I would recommend the Costa Verde. It is a very nice place and they have a cool pool with a great view (although this might be called the "adult" pool because it has a bar). There is another pool on the property as well.

If you are driving, it is a short ride down to the beach, or you can walk but it is a pretty steep incline that can get tiring.

We also toured the Si Como No while we were there and I would definatley stay there as well. It is nice.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Costa Verde
Hotel Costa Verde
1,615 Reviews
9. Re: Manuel Antonio Lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 23:16