We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afraid of eigths / Canopy tour advise needed!

Arizona
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Afraid of eigths / Canopy tour advise needed!

We will be in Costa Rica / Arenal area, Monteverde, rincon de la vieja..... I am SOOOO afraid of hights but I do want to conquer that fear. Any advise on ANY of this canopy / Zip lines tours that is the least scary? I heard that some are more for beginners?

Any Company that has a very safe record that you can recomend?

Gracias!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Afraid of eigths / Canopy tour advise needed!

Well, whatever you do, don't try SkyTrek Monteverde if you are afraid of heights. It has this tall metal tower located on top of a hill... Even I felt less than happy up there.

An easy tour is the Zip Line Hacienda Guachipelin close to Rincon de la Vieja offers. It's not very high and runs along a narrow canyon with a river below. Quite scenic and nice and I'd definitely rate it at the "beginner" level.

Arizona
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Afraid of eigths / Canopy tour advise needed!

Thanks very much for the input. It is very appreciated. We are actually lodging at Hacienda Guachipelin in Rincon de la Vieja so, it will be perfect.

I will post my fear experience after we are back! :)

If I come back with no more fear to heights, I will let the whole world about it!! Hey, that might be my medicine! :)

Atlanta
Level Contributor
282 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Afraid of eigths / Canopy tour advise needed!

Hi,

I'm definately not a height person...the top of a ladder makes me dizzy. I did a zipline near Tamarindo. I think it wasn't for the experienced either. It was fun. The scarey part for me was being on that small, metal platform waiting for the others to come across.

You'll have fun!!

Tricia

Arizona
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Afraid of eigths / Canopy tour advise needed!

Thanks everybody for your comments!

I'll probably try the Canopy tour at Rincon de la vieja / Guachipeling then.

Any one has done the one in Manuel Antonio? I heard that is a "must do" ....I wonder if between Monteverde, Arenal, Hacienda Guachipelin & Manuel Antonio which one is the less freaky canopy tour ........is it still Guachipelin?

If anyone has done several of those and has an opinion please let me know, we should be arriving this coming Sat!

Muchas gracias!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Afraid of eigths / Canopy tour advise needed!

It is difficult to narrow it down because there are so many canopy tours around - there are several tours available in most (if not all) locations that you mention. I've been on quite a few and I like thrills, so I really haven't been trying to find any "tame" ones. Hacienda Guachipelin was the first tour I've ever taken (and I've taken it several times since then when friends were visiting). It is still, by far the least freaky zip line tour I have done. Don't get me wrong, it is a lot of fun, in part because it is varied and does not exclusively consist of zip lines, but there are no heart stoppers or "Oh-my-God" moments.

Arizona
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Afraid of eigths / Canopy tour advise needed!

Woo hoo! the more I hear the more excited I get...... but nervous at the same time :)

Probably the first jump is the though one, after that I think I'll be fine.

Thanks for the encouragement.....I need it!! :)

Have you tried the Manuel Antonio canopy tour? I heard is a "must do" compared to Guachipelin which one is more "mild"?

Thanks a lot, very helpful info!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Afraid of eigths / Canopy tour advise needed!

Ah, you don't have to worry about the first "jump." It's not so much a jump as it is sitting down in your harness and gliding a very short distance. Most zip line companies starts their tours with a few "baby" or practice lines that can be as short as 15 feet and 3 feet above ground. Hardly anything to be nervous about but it familiarizes you with the process and the sensation.

Sorry, I have not been on the MA zip line you are talking about.

Arizona
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Afraid of eigths / Canopy tour advise needed!

Thanks Panem!

I am learning so much from you.... I guess I have read that when you are UUUUp theeeere in the plataform is when is kind of scary to just GO...maybe is not a jump, but that first push into the open air.

I am so glad to hear that they start kind of small as they increase little by little. I hope that apply to the heights as well :) Hey, by any chance does anyone of you know if the drive (4X4) from Liberia to Hacienda Guachipelin, Rincon de la vieja at night is dangerous? Our plane arrives at 7 pm and were wondering if staying the night in Liberia or drive to Guachipelin.

Muchisisisisimas gracias!!

Mississippi
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Afraid of eigths / Canopy tour advise needed!

I've arrived there at night, and I wouldn't call it dangerous, but parts of it sure were rough. Also, I had a driver---Luis, what do you say about this one?

Carol

10. Re: Afraid of eigths / Canopy tour advise needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 06:21