We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sky Trek or Selvatura

Which Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Weston, Florida
Level Contributor
265 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Sky Trek or Selvatura

Any comments on which canopy tour you would suggest for one who is a bit afraid of heights?

Quincy
Level Contributor
94 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sky Trek or Selvatura

I am scared of heights and did Sky Trex, dont think of how high you are (660' at the highest). Just lean back, grab the handles and go and scream the whole way, its a blast and its over before you know it. Its perfectly safe and you will be glad you did it.....

Weston, Florida
Level Contributor
265 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sky Trek or Selvatura

Thanks, I'm looking forward to trying this.

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
19 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sky Trek or Selvatura

Just did Skytrek like 2 weeks ago. It's pretty high, BUT very secure. The harnesses, lines, equipment are able to handle something like 2000 pounds and you're well buckled in.

Good luck!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sky Trek or Selvatura

We did the Selvatura zip lines in late January. We thoroughly enjoyed it. There are 4 guides that go with the group and they tell you exactly what to do and it's very safe. Selvatura boasts a Tarzan swing also, which Sky Trek doesn't have. The Tarzan swing is optional, but everyone in our group did it.

One difference between Sky Trek and Selvatura, with Selvatura you brake yourself for the most part by pulling down on the zip line (you have thick gloves with a leather pad). Sky Trek's system is self-braking. Correct me if I'm wrong on this if you did the Sky Trek tour!

Weston, Florida
Level Contributor
265 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sky Trek or Selvatura

Is it difficult or awkward to use the brake on the Selvatura canopy tour?

Alberta
Level Contributor
60 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Sky Trek or Selvatura

My husband and i just returned from Costa Rica last week and we did the Salvatura ziplines. It was our very first experience on ziplines and I am terrified of heights....BUT the sites are amazing and we had a fabulous time. There are 4 guides that go with you and they do tell you exactly when to brake and how hard. Never once did we have a problem. Self braking only sounds difficult, but it really isn't. It's a matter of pulling down on the line with your hand and you'll be surprised on how quickly you slow. There are 16 lines on the tour and some of the really fast lines do have braking precautions just in case you come in to the base a little too quick.

We took our video camera with us and our guides even video taped the views travelling onthe lines, from base to base.

You'll have a great time......take a deep breath and don't look down!

C & C

Weston, Florida
Level Contributor
265 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sky Trek or Selvatura

Thanks for the detailed information. We leave for CR in 4 weeks! Your reply is a big help.

THANKS!!!

Kentville, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sky Trek or Selvatura

I am quite scared of heights but one of the highlights of my recent Costa Rican trip was doing the zip-line at Selvatura in the Monteverde area. I actually spent a whole day there, first doing a guided nature walk through the Cloud Forest and on suspension bridges...then the zip-line, then after a bite to eat I toured the Butterfly and Reptile exhibits. It was a fantastic day!!!

Initially the idea of doing the zip line really intimidated me...but as a previous poster said, don't look down...plaster a smile on your face and you're all set to go! The guides are absolutely awesome. The Tarzan Swing freaked me out a LOT more than the zip-lines, and although I was the last person to go...and I screamed like crazy...I'm actually glad that I did that, too. You'll receive instruction prior to using the zip-line and the guides are so supportive...I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

9. Re: Sky Trek or Selvatura

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 04:16