We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Espanol

Which Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Clifton, VA
Level Contributor
78 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Espanol

Okay. I'm all booked and now Costa Rica is only 5 weeks away!!! Can any of you recommend any cd's or books to brush up on my very poor high school spanish....that got mixed in with my college French. Bonjour, senor. uh-oh.

Anyway, I thought it might be nice to give it a try. I could try to learn phrases while driving around. I just don't know if one language program is far superior. (I need all the help I can get.)

Thanks!!

Playa Hermosa...
Destination Expert
for Manuel Antonio National Park, Jaco
Level Contributor
1,403 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Espanol

Lonely Planet Costa Rica Spanish Phrasebook has been helpful to me. Good for you to learn the language ... but I think you'll be amazed at how quickly your high school Spanish comes back to you! Have a great trip!

Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,603 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Espanol

Since you've had some Spanish, I would recommend from Penton Overseas, Inc. Speak in a Week. Spanish Complete. You can buy it one week at a time or buy the first set of four weeks. I love this set because it comes with a CD and flip books so that you can quiz yourself and learn at the same time. The CD's exactly follow each little book and on each page the book goes into a little more detail explaining the grammar. It uses correct grammar, rather than just giving you phrases to memorize. The books are so complete that you don't have to listen to the CD to learn from the books. I listen to the CD in my car and use the books in the house.

My son just took another College Spanish Course last fall. Since we are going to CR in 3 weeks he looked at this set and was impressed with the accuracy and ease of use.

With only 5 weeks to go you probably won't get through all 4 books but you might if you study a lot. The thing that will happen is that it will come flooding back in the first two books, and that's enough to get you back on track, clear up the fog and you'll be able to communicate pretty well. I would study some vocabulary along with this, the words you know you will want.

Some say you really don't have to have your Spanish in CR but I think it's a fun language and fun to be able to go farther than hand signs in some instances.

Edited: 18 February 2010, 15:30
Shawnee, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
14,603 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Espanol

Lisa - isn't it funny how when you start using your Spanish, words you didn't think you knew, just pop into your head? Always kind of startling what the brain has stored away.

4. Re: Espanol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2010, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Monteverde Cloud...