We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay in Monteverde?

Which Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Best place to stay in Monteverde?

Hi. I am deciding between the Monteverde Lodge and Fonda Vela in Monteverde. Anyone have any ideas about these two places, or could recommend something better. Looking for the nicest possible accomodations near the cloud forest. Thanks!

chicago
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay in Monteverde?

We stayed at El Establo in Monteverde. Highly reccommend. Short ride to zip lines and canopy tours. Ask for room highest up for

incredible views

Tampa, FL
Destination Expert
for San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay in Monteverde?

I've stayed elsewhere during my trips to Monteverde. Not having stayed at all of the places mentioned thus far I really couldn't say whether where I've stayed is "better", so, rather than cloud the issue by adding them to the mix, I'll just make some observations. I've hiked extensively in the area including the entire road from Monteverde all the way to Sta. Elena Reserve (not at one time, of course) and have personally at least seen many of these hotels. Here is my own take on these 3:

Fonda Vela is closest of the 3 to Monteverde CF (there are a couple more that are a little closer). You could easily walk the 1.5km from Fonda Vela to Monteverde if you wanted to. On the other hand being near the end of the road you're much more isolated from what little nightlife Sta. Elena has to offer. You'll probably end up eating dinner at the hotel. Their grounds are lushly forested and natural and the rooms (from the pictures at least) look very nice.

The Monteverde Lodge is the closest of the 3 to the town of Sta. Elena. There are more restaurants to choose from within easy walking distance. There are also a number of other attractions that are close to town including the frog pond (ranaria), butterfly garden, eco farm and The ORIGINAL CANOPY TOUR®. Going on the other side of town in the opposite direction from Monteverde, Sta Elena Reserve is the other major cloud forest park in the area and is about 7.5km away. Also in that direction are the SkyTrek and Selvatura canopy tours. All of the latter will probably involve a cab, tourbus or private car for most people and so where you start from may not matter so much, but I personally think being close to the center of things makes the most sense. The other thing about the Monteverde Lodge that I like is that they were one of the real pioneers in that area for employing environmentally sensitive practices (50% of their electricity comes from solar power, water saving to reduce waste, recycling, building design to minimize forest impact etc.) This is a real factor in a highly environmentally sensitive area being strained by the huge influx of visitors and new construction. Finally, the Monteverde Lodge has gotten glowing reviews from the Moon Guide, Lonely Planet, Rough Guide and Frommers.

Establo is a little further outside of town heading towards Monteverde, but only by 1km so it is still relatively close. It is much larger than either of the other 2 places. They've cleared out a huge tract of forest in front of the hotel such that it probably has the best views of the Gulf of Nicoya, but because of that I really have to question its enviromental commitment. Maybe this doesn't matter to some folks, but I figure if we are going someplace to appreciate its natural attractions we should try our best not to destroy those very attractions in the process. That is what real eco-tourism is all about.

Michigan
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay in Monteverde?

I must choose between the Monteverde Lodge or El Sapo Dorado. After reading what has been said so far, I am leaning towards the Monteverde Lodge. I have to let them know by tomorrow, so please write soon with more info. Thanks.

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
81 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay in Monteverde?

When you book make sure you aren't in the old rooms. Not what you expected from the pictures.

Michigan
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay in Monteverde?

I chose El Sapo Dorado. I leave tomorrow and will report when I get back. Thanks all for your help in planning my trip.

San Diego
Level Contributor
148 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay in Monteverde?

Vet, is it Monteverde Lodge you are referring to with the old rooms? I am looking at reserving a room there. Which room type should we request?