We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter Week 2012

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
56 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Easter Week 2012

Hi-

Just booked our flight, not realizing we will be in Costa Rica Easter week. I have read that the "country closes down" the week before Easter. What does this mean? Are tourist attractions like Monteverde and Arenal closed at any point over the Holiday? Please tell me I didn't totally screw this up!!! Also, we plan to visit Arenal, Monteverde, Jaco and Manuel Antonio. Can anyone tell me what Easter events/activities we should see in these areas? Thanks, Sherry

Winnipeg, Canada
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
7,306 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter Week 2012

When they say the country closes up - it is more related to government offices and other businesses that don't have much effect on tourists.

However since many Ticos take holidays at that times, the beach areas especially are very crowded and it is wise to book well in advance to insure you get the hotels you want. The tourist activities and tours will be "business as usual" in these days.

As for Holy Week - the Ley Seca - Dry Law is in effect. From midnight on Wednesday and the early hours of Saturday morning there is suspension of all sales of alcohol at supermarkets, bars & restaurants and liquor stores. (Some restaurants may creatively get around this) So if this is important to you, stock up ahead of time.

You did not say how long you are staying, but if it is only one week, trying to visit all the 4 places you mention would be too much.

For more info about CR during Holy Week, check out the last "Top Question on the right side of the main Costa Rica Forum.

pura vida

raquel

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,415 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter Week 2012

Please do not worry everything will be open...as well explained by Raquel!

roadadvisor

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
56 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter Week 2012

Hi-

Thanks for your responses. I can't believe I booked a trip during the busiest week of the whole year!! We are scheduled to be in Playa Herradura the Saturday before Easter, Easter, Monday and Tuesday. (We are staying free at the Marriott on "points"). We originally planned to spend this time at the beaches and Manuel Antonio. If the entire area is going to be filled with throngs of people, and we know the park is closed on Mondays, that only leaves Tuesday to visit there. I could really use some suggestions! We hate crowds! Boy, I could kick myself. Please help. Thanks, Sherry

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter Week 2012

Your best bet for avoiding crowds is to avoid the beach before Easter and go to the beach after Easter. Most Costa Ricans head for the beach for their Easter vacation.

You could head for Arenal or Monteverde first and then to the beach. Another choice would be to go to Tortuguero, Arenal, Monteverde and then the beach.

Depending on how much time you have - for one week, two locations, maybe three depending on what time your flights arrive and leave.

amsterdam
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Easter Week 2012

You will be fine!! What you will encounter is EXTREMELY crowded beaches...LOL

Last April we left the Monday of Sansanma(sp) what a difference of people around. The once tranquil beach was like Coney Island on July 4th.

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easter Week 2012

The week before Easter is known as Semana Santa and if anyone reads anything about coming here the week before Easter, the advice will all be the same: the beaches will be very crowded.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
56 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easter Week 2012

Hi-

How far of a drive is it from San Jose to Tortuguero? We have 10 days. We were planning on 2 in Arenal, 3 in Monteverde and 4 -5 in the Manuel Antonio area. Thanks for your advice. Sherry

Costa Rica
Level Contributor
25,654 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Easter Week 2012

If you are planning 2 days in Arenal, 3 in Monteverde and 4-5 in the Manuel Antonio area, how will you fit Tortuguero into your 10 days?

It's not easy to get there, basically. You drive to one of the landings where a boat picks you up and takes you to Tortuguero. Either Pavonas, Cabo Blanco, or Moin, It is easier to get there from Arenal or the Caribbean coast rather than Monteverde or Manuel Antonio. The package deals will include transportation from San Jose and many of them from Arenal.

For package deals - www.tortugueroinfo.com

For independent travel - www.tortuguerovillage.com

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
56 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Easter Week 2012

If we were to visit Tortuguero, we would change our itinerery. I am looking for suggestions for where to go in the Playa Herradura area the day before Easter and Easter. We would have gone to the beach, but we will wait until Easter Monday. Ideas???

10. Re: Easter Week 2012

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2012, 13:15