We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monteverde or La Fortuna

NYC
Level Contributor
56 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Monteverde or La Fortuna

Will be coming from Liberia Airport to stay in either Monteverde or La Fortuna. Any suggestions of which one to choose? We're looking for as much wildlife and adventure as possible but less crowds...Will be going from there to the beach. Thanks!

NY
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Monteverde or La Fortuna

How many night do you have planned there?

NYC
Level Contributor
56 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monteverde or La Fortuna

2-3 nights. Thanks...

California
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Monteverde or La Fortuna

Monteverde and La Fortuna are actually two of the most popular destinations in Costa Rica with Tamarindo and Manuel Antonio. Outside Santa Elena in Monteverde there are some nice small hotels located a little off the crowd. Also, from there you can acces the Santa Elena Reserve which is sometimes better than the Monteverde Reserve ( Bell Birds and Quetzales ). Also less people. Arenal and La Fortuna it`s Highlight is not only the Volcanbo abut also the New Hanging Bridges, hiking tours, lava trails, waterfall tours horseback riding, canopy, O really nice tour is CANO NEGRO SAFARI and or SARAPIQUI RIVER FLOATING TOUR.

Let me kow if you would like more detailed info and tips. C.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
259 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monteverde or La Fortuna

If you really like rain forest have to visit Monteverde, also La Fortuna its really nice with a beautiful volcanoe.

Montevede is nearest the beaches and has the best CR canopy (Sky trek), maybe in Monteverde you can take 1 day tour to Arenal.

Have a great trip

NY
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Monteverde or La Fortuna

Do 3 nights. We went to both La Fortuna and Santa Elena and if I had to choose one of them I would choose La Fortuna. To me seeing an active volcano and enjoying the hot springs is a once in a lifetime opportunity not to be missed. Our white water rafting trip from there was also amazing (no experience needed). But you have to make the choice that's right for you. Both of these places are full of activities. Both don't have crowds. My favorite place in Monteverde area was the Children's Eternal forest - hiking both by ourselves in the afternoon and then taking the twilight tour. See the following 2 websites and decide what's right for you.

www.arenal.net

www.monteverdeinfo.com

Get answers to your questions about Monteverde Cloud...