We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dressing for weather in Arenal/Monteverde

Which Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Connecticut, USA
Level Contributor
63 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Dressing for weather in Arenal/Monteverde

Myself and friend (two women, and my friend is always cold) will be in the volcano - cloud forest areas next week commencing 11/30. How to pack for touring and some light hiking? Am bringing rain jacket, but will we need sweaters, jeans, etc. - should we expect cold temps or damp/tropical?

Thanks for all information!

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dressing for weather in Arenal/Monteverde

Dear Meridenborn

Maybe nice to bring like a golf jacket...and some soft hiking boots and a bunch of white socks...of course a nice pair of long pants...Arenal not problem...but Monteverde some times can get cold...really cold!

roadadvisor

Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Costa Rica
Level Contributor
13,967 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dressing for weather in Arenal/Monteverde

It is often windy up in Monteverde so long pants and long sleeves are useful. No jeans as they became wet and don't dry. A sweater or similar is OK.

La Fortuna de San...
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dressing for weather in Arenal/Monteverde

Right now in La Fortuna by the Volcano Arenal it's getting quite chilly and in Monteverde it's definitely COLD. You'll want to bring layering pieces since the weather will be different in each of the areas you travel to. For comfort, layering and not taking up much space in your luggage I'd consider packing these items: yoga type pants (long, quick dry), panty hose (work great as long underwear), a fleece jacket (lightweight but super warm), a beanie for your head, a warm sweater and a waterproof jacket, some fleece gloves. All of these items will take up very little room, dry quickly if they get wet and you'll be happy you have them. :-) Overall Monteverde is going to be much colder than La Fortuna! :-) Enjoy!!!

Wendy, La Fortuna, CR

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
3,528 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dressing for weather in Arenal/Monteverde

Arenal tends to be a little hot and Monteverde is cold but a light jacket and long pants should do for Monteverde.

Germantown, Maryland
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dressing for weather in Arenal/Monteverde

Well I just came back from Arenal/La Fortuna..Weather is very unpredictable..it can rain for 1-2 hours and stop and then sunshine would appear for a couple of hours and start raining again.

Basically the weather was highly unpredictable and we had to do the excursion on the fly knowing that the weather could change in a couple of hours..

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
46,017 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dressing for weather in Arenal/Monteverde

I just come back from Arenal and Manuel Antonio ...it was kind of nice around Arenal...some raisn...as timalator mentioned...same almost all teh way to Manuel Antonio...rain...no rain...some rain...no rain...sunny...rain...but nice anyway!

roadadvisor

7. Re: Dressing for weather in Arenal/Monteverde

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 02:16
Get answers to your questions about Monteverde Cloud...